W124 500E - put a deposit down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

500E

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 E500 Limited / 2008 C63 AMG
Hello all

After years of looking and even more years of seeing rough and overpriced examples, I've finally put a deposit down on a silver 744 1992 500E and hoping to collect it either next weekend or the weekend after.

It's this one on eBay:

MERCEDES 500E FRESH JAPAN IMPORT ZERO RUST SUPERB LHD W124 V8 LORINSER EQUIPMENT | eBay

Thoughts?

It looks good for a Japan example (some have been badly modded) and I think the Lorinser touches add that little bit extra to make the car look younger. Does anyone have experience with cars from Japan - wondering if the kit is an original one or a replica.

I viewed the 1995 E500 Limited at Performance Legends and it was an absolute disaster. He assured me it was mechanically perfect but it was a right dog - more about that one later - but a 500 mile trip wasted and I was genuinely very annoyed! :mad:

So this silver 500E went through its MOT yesterday and needed the rear fog light moving and 4 new tyres due to cracking apparently. Fresh 12 month ticket on and the registration process has started with DVLA.

I've always liked the pre-facelift W124's as they have that aggressive look, they made the facelift rounder. The 500E with the wider wings and lower stance amplifies that and this one looks tasty with the twin Lorinser exhaust, front and rear bigger bumpers. As all cars in Japan this one unfortunately doesn't have any service history apart from the export certificate which has some mileage history which appears to tally up with the 170k on the clock. I will be giving the car a thorough inspection though inc wiring harness, sensors etc to ensure it's all in order and once I have it a full service with original MB parts (inc caps, arms, new bushes all around, new brakes, filters etc etc). Japan cars appeal to me as they are less rusty than European examples. The seller has assured me the underside is mint so will be checking this out thoroughly.

Observations are that the front indis and side repeaters should be orange and that horrid Lorinser badge needs removing off the bootlid. Apart from that I'd probably leave it as is - there seems to be some tasty Lorinser bits (steering wheel, gearknob, door sills, bumpers, alloys, exhaust - wonder if it has suspension...). The engine bay looks clean but the intake hoses are deffo not OEM - never seen ones like this before.

I do have a pet hate for the speedo and potentially the alloys as they look too "soft". A nice set of period wide AMG's would suit it. I hope the car checks out as I've not viewed it beforehand (nearly 5 hour drive each way) so dropped a sensible deposit on it to secure it so the seller could begin the registration process. Managed to get it for a good price inc MOT and tax so it should be ready for me to drive down south!

Look forward to hearing your comments on the car!

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, worth the wait!!! What a perfect looking car! I totally agree with it needing to be a pre facelift! Much prefer the big chrome grille! Also agree with the indicators need to be orange and taking a lorinser badge off! Enjoy it mate because it looks a belter!

Looks stunning !

I'm going to be in the minority , but I'd leave the lorinser wheels and badge on , lorinser stuff is so much rarer than Brabus or amg kit. I don't think the badge on the lid looks out of place.

I would have the centre plate of the lorinser splitties done in a gunmetal grey with polished lip , would set the silver of the car off a treat !

Look at the depth in the walnut too !

Gorgeous

Remove some of the cosmetic tat and fit a nice set of Aero 1's it'll look the part.

It's always going to be worth £10K so it's a reasonably safe bet.

Nice car but for God's sake lose the" tarts boudoir" wood steering wheel/ instrument cluster/ centre console / gear knob tat. Expensive rare unique I know but ruins a car that should give off a wiff of testosterone not eau de lily of the valley. ;)

Congrats & enjoy. Hope you keep this thread up to date.

Very nice but I' be doing something about the shut lines at the bumpers/wing join.

Very nice but I' be doing something about the shut lines at the bumpers/wing join.

I think you're right on that, somethings not quite aligned there but hopefully it will be a simple tweak.

Something odd going on with the sills also - are they the correct sill covers I wonder?

Minor issues aside though that looks like an absolute bargain price for one of these.

[edit] I meant sideskirts, not sill covers.

Last edited:

Door shut lines look to be way off also - big problem with jap imports is that they come with no history to common for them to have had a mileage correction and/or being accident damaged.

I quite like the lorinser dials though :eek:

Lovely car.
I would keep the wheels and all of the 'tat' but lose the lorinser badge.

So nice I'll say it again but louder.
LOVELY car.

That speedo :crazy:

Id leave the indicators & side repeators clear, they are OEM parts afterall.

Appears to be missing sideskirts?

Last edited:
KillerHERTZ said:
Id leave the indicators & side repeators clear, they are OEM parts afterall. ?

OEM maybe but not age appropriate for the pre facelift as it doesn't match the rears. Plus on a silver car it's almost a big blob of silver.

stunning

point to note at the moment km only dash is ok but soon will be an mot fail as in northern Ireland if purchased from dealer he has to change it i had same problem and found a co near Bristol called km/mph who can sort it

Woah - cheers for the responses all :thumb:! I did spot the panel gaps and to be honest most I've seen have panel gaps to some degree. I'm not phased by it and it is an old car so would have had paintwork. The Japan auction sheet does not state that the car has been involved in an accident or written off. These are normally quite accurate as signed off by the Japanese government. I will obviously be checking the wings / panels / bars etc. on collection and if anything is out of place which looks serious I will be walking away.

I reckon the bumpers will be ok - as they have been fitted afterwards they won't fit as flush as an OEM car would - I reckon someone good with bodywork could adjust them to fit.

Good spot on the side skirts too, this 500E is missing them but hopefully I can pickup a set of Lorinser side skirts in the future (depending on how they look). I don't think it looks too out of place though.

I presume the 500E side skirts are different to the normal W124? Even though the front lights are OEM, I think the orange theme would set them off, especially on a silver car.

I hope to start a project thread on the car, starting with general maintenance when I collect it to OEM+ mods such as ASR defeat, FGS module, ARB kit, Porsche brakes etc. Can a mod give me access please?

Keep the comments coming :D

Cheers

Bill

I'm surprised no one said nothing about the wind deflectors haha
Well done Bill,Lovely car that.Apart from the alloys I wouldn't change nothing
Forget AMGs,just find some period Lorinser ones as those are to modern for a 500e

As for sideskirts,finding those for 500e it'll be very hard + the lorinser skirts have no jacking points so I say don't worry about it

I'm surprised no one said nothing about the wind deflectors haha
Well done Bill,Lovely car that.Apart from the alloys I wouldn't change nothing
Forget AMGs,just find some period Lorinser ones as those are to modern for a 500e

As for sideskirts,finding those for 500e it'll be very hard + the lorinser skirts have no jacking points so I say don't worry about it

Cheers! I like the wind deflectors - they're also original MB ones so they'll be staying.

Agreed re original Lorinser ones, it'd be nice to stay with the theme. Come to think of it, I don't think they ever made Lorinser skirts for the 500E...

I look forward to the project thread! I think you should be able to sort that one easily, and amazing how much fun it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom