W124 500E - put a deposit down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
speedo km only if they are dealers they are obliged to fit new dial in ni mot fail

It's quite a high speed vibration for prop related issues, usually see those at 50-70mph and they go away at higher speeds.

Not much to report here. I've got a set of centre caps and OEM bolts for the Brabus Monoblock alloys now. I also picked up a set of 5x 16" 500e 8-holes in case I ever want to go back to OEM alloys so will keep this set spare and potentially get them wrapped in snow tyres.

I might be moving to the Middle East in July for the foreseeable future on work so everything on the car is on hold. If I do end up going the 500E will be mothballed until I come back (whenever that is!).

Hey all, ordered a few bits from MB a while ago and just got around to picking them up.

- 2x rocket cover gasket sets
- 2x distributor cap covers
- 2x distributor cap locks
- 1x dipstick
- 2x clear side repeaters

I also picked up an original Lorinser spoiler with brake light - i'll get this fitted once I have the paintwork done :thumb:

Old dipstick

New dipstick

Engine bay with everything refitted

Project is coming along nicely. Not sure what to do with the Brabus Mono's and whether they suit the car. Tempted to keep the Lorinser alloys on tbh.

I will be uploading a scan of all my invoices to give everyone (including myself) an idea of costs into the project so far.

Cheers

Bill

I'll guess at 10,000 in bits and pieces since purchase...

Stay with the 8 holes would be my choice. :)

Have original 8 holes alloys with winters if you're interested ?

How about some BBS RS alloys?

Very period and one of the best looking wheels on this era of Mercedes.

IMG_6311WM.jpg

Have original 8 holes alloys with winters if you're interested ?
Bing - I would be, drop me a PM and if they're at the right price I'll keep them for the winter. I trust these are the 16" 500E ones?

Cheers dude. Packed well and two tyres are brand new Michelins! V happy mate, many thanks :thumb:

Bill those tyres are unused,but definitely not new, one is at least 20 years old( ffs don't drive on them!)would be OK for car park burnout's only!!!

Yeah I saw one was the original spare at least. I will keep them though for emergency use though - no high speed runs on the autobahn!

Small update - got the backbox off the other day and the bolts were quite rusted and the gasket was torn. New parts bought from MB - will be replaced shortly along with a pair of exhaust hangers.

Not much else going on at the moment. Due to replace the rocker cover gaskets over a weekend and sort out the high speed vibration I'm getting (pretty sure it's down to alloys/tyres). The back end of next year will be the repaint/mini resto so just collecting parts for that over time. It'll be reasonably comprehensive so I can enjoy the car over the next few years without any big expenditure.

Cheers

Bill

I've realised there are hardly any interior pictures on here. Car is normally pretty dirty but have it clean at the moment and thought it'd be rude not to take some snaps. I am having the centre console wood trim cut for two extra switches (as the piece is NLA from Mercedes), one will be for the ASR defeat which is due to be fitted and the other not sure, maybe twin tone horn or switchable first gear start.

For the interior, I have now managed to track down a brand new set of LHD original OEM MB mats which will be fitted for show off purposes once they arrive from Germany. I also have the OEM fire extinguisher to mount and the MB Club sports pedals. I will be removing the headliner and pillars and having them retrimmed in black alcantara and that should really sharpen up the interior. To be honest I don't really have any other plans for the interior and I think it'll then be fine as-is :thumb: I may have the wood on the upper and lower console polished and the steering wheel retrimmed for a thicker rim (miss my M3 steering) but that'll be down the line. Hope you like the photos - any ideas for the interior are welcome.

Cheers

B

Hope you like the photos - any ideas for the interior are welcome.

Cheers

B

The car is looking great, really like the attention to detail especially under the bonnet. As for the interior I'd look at Ebony and a black leather steering wheel, just my preference. This maybe a bit too involved/messy to get right but what about a countersunk push button in the gear knob (in black leather :D) for 1st gear selection or an ejector seat if you're married? Rock on. :thumb:

Last edited:
You can put a nano car paint product on the timber after polishing it, stops the dirt sticking, keeps the micro scratches out of it longer and makes for a shiny finish that lasts longer than it will without.

If you want a thicker rim wheel then you may want to sell the one you have now, you can get good money for those, and start with a plain leather one which will be easier to thicken up - although I have to say the 124 doesn't look quite right with a thick wheel IMO.

The car is looking great, really like the attention to detail especially under the bonnet. As for the interior I'd look at Ebony and a black leather steering wheel, just my preference. This maybe a bit too involved/messy to get right but what about a countersunk push button in the gear knob (in black leather :D) for 1st gear selection or an ejector seat if you're married? Rock on. :thumb:
Cheers JJJ. It's certainly coming along. With the updated headliner, new floormats, polished wood pieces it'll look really good. Steering wise I think I will get another Sportline wheel and have it retrimmed for a thicker rim. It may not suit the car but it improves turning and driving experience imo.

I'd love a set of black Recaro CC's but that'll come a few years down the line (getting married and buying property is not cheap!).

You can put a nano car paint product on the timber after polishing it, stops the dirt sticking, keeps the micro scratches out of it longer and makes for a shiny finish that lasts longer than it will without.

If you want a thicker rim wheel then you may want to sell the one you have now, you can get good money for those, and start with a plain leather one which will be easier to thicken up - although I have to say the 124 doesn't look quite right with a thick wheel IMO.
Cheers dude. I think I will change out the steering to retain the originality of this Lorinser wheel and either sell it on or just keep it (and put it back in if I ever sell it).

So instead of driving I wanted to try out flying so did a lesson in a Cessna 152. Had a really good time and was lucky enough to fly over CW, the o2, over the QE2 bridge and back to North Weald Airfield. Had so much fun! Friend of mine is training to be a commercial pilot and suggested I join him for a lesson - highly recommend it :thumb:

Few snaps from the day:

A shot from Ace Cafe where the car (to my surprise) really generated attention (even amongst all those modded BMW's and MB's)

Few shots from the city:

One from last night in WF

Cheers

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom