W124 500E The world's most perfect saloon car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leef44

Car
SLK 55 AMG, Suzuki Vitara
Sorry if this has already been posted. I've just come across this link which describes the history of the making of the 500E. I had no idea about the Porsche engineering involvement. It just makes me want to buy one đŸ¤—

My dad had the 300E and I just loved that car. But a 500E, oh deary me, I would love one, thank you very much!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

MB doesn't make good cars in the 500E high class anymore.
MB is more of a ricer class with contineous gremlins.

MB doesn't make good cars in the 500E high class anymore.
MB is more of a ricer class with contineous gremlins.
Yes, that's what makes that old car so special. The days when the engineers got what they wanted and the accountant just had to shut up.

W124 500 series has premium price tags nowadays if they still in good shape?

Would love to see a factory tribute as a MKII series W124 E500SE with subtle design changes to suit the year 2021
What was bad in design flaws for W124 back in the 90's would have been updated and improved for MY2021 cars.

MB will never go back to W124 quality.
The new cars of today doesn't do it for me!

mine is on its way over from Japan as we speak, German supplied car

Opel is releasing an eclectic Manta with batteries.
Body is original 70's style with subtle design changes for MY2022.

Why can't those constipated Armani suits in Stuttgart make a W124 E500SE tribute when Opel can?

Opel is releasing an eclectic Manta with batteries.
Body is original 70's style with subtle design changes for MY2022.

Why can't those constipated Armani suits in Stuttgart make a W124 E500SE tribute when Opel can?
I just Googled the photos and did a sex wee.

Something for the MB w@nker head boss in Stuttgart to reconsider making limited edition tribute cars. :thumb:
I'd buy a brand new W124 E500SE in a heartbeat! :banana:

Doing an engine swap must be the easiest (read cheapest) way to achieve a w124 500e. Take one giffer owned garaged all its life w124 200e for a couple of grand and shoehorn in a V8 from a w126 500 (pre canbus?) or a w210 e420 (canbus issues) .

Doing an engine swap must be the easiest (read cheapest) way to achieve a w124 500e. Take one giffer owned garaged all its life w124 200e for a couple of grand and shoehorn in a V8 from a w126 500 (pre canbus?) or a w210 e420 (canbus issues) .
But sticking a V8 into a plain old W124 is miles away from a 500E.

But sticking a V8 into a plain old W124 is miles away from a 500E.
Maybe but a big transplanted V8 and standard soft suspension and brakes would concerntrate the mind on a spirited drive. Or you could do a brake and suspension swap as well. W124's have multi link rear suspension across the model range so springs, shocks and bushes = job done.

Maybe but a big transplanted V8 and standard soft suspension and brakes would concerntrate the mind on a spirited drive. Or you could do a brake and suspension swap as well. W124's have multi link rear suspension across the model range so springs, shocks and bushes = job done.
Still miles from a 500E though.

No flared arches, no Porsche brakes and no Porsche DNA.

Pointless exercise.

Still miles from a 500E though.

No flared arches, no Porsche brakes and no Porsche DNA.

Pointless exercise.
Not sure it would be pointless as a V8 is always good but i get what you mean. It would not be original.

Not sure it would be pointless as a V8 is always good but i get what you mean. It would not be original.
It’s not even about originality.
All you’d have is an old 124 with a V8 in it. Yeah it’ll make a nice noise but and it’ll be different but that’s about it.

Save up and buy the real thing or get a later E500.

You are both correct. Any w124 with a V8 is a good thing.

But a 500e is so much more than the sum of its parts.

Even being left hand drive it's a truly special experience. The world and prices have finally caught up.

It’s not even about originality.
All you’d have is an old 124 with a V8 in it. Yeah it’ll make a nice noise but and it’ll be different but that’s about it.

Save up and buy the real thing or get a later E500.
I get what you mean but surely that is what an e500 is. A V8 special from the factory. There are many people out there talented enough to do amazing engine swaps.

A E500 is much, much more than a 124 with a V8
Do you mean because it has some Porsche big red calipers on it, an LSD , Bilstein uprated suspension and flared arches? All great features no doubt.

The w201 190 e 2.3 -16 , 2.5 - 16, 190e Evo 1 (very special car) and 190e Evo 2 (very, very special car) must qualify as being far more special, imho, than a w124 e500, due to racing homologation.

There is a tendancy in classic car markets for a car to gain value so the market move and creates the next special car to then become the latest appreciating asset.

Maybe it is now the w124 e500's turn. You will definately know if this is the case when collectors like Harry Metcalfe buy one and he does a video on its many virtues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom