W124 500E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well not for me I would buy the C55 Edward Hall has low mileage and given the condition of that car I suppose 15 grand is fair.

A stunning beautiful car. Sadly being wrong hand drive kills it for me.

In a few years price will be even higher for these cars.
If you're too cheap to pay now, in a few years you will run away.

The 500E might be a good investment or not?

Well there is a very nice one on ebay at the moment and r/h has a lot of mileage though :(

Well not for me I would buy the C55 Edward Hall has low mileage and given the condition of that car I suppose 15 grand is fair.
If that C55 had a sunroof and parking sensors it would be a great proposition. I love that it has wood trim as opposed to the cheap-looking silver stuff.

E320 coupe looks good too.

It has a sunroof and rear parking sensors but they must be aftermarket as they are rear only and there is no telltale on the inside or button to switch them off.

It has a sunroof , they all do (currently the subject of a safety recall, I will get around to taking mine in to be checked ...one day) This C55 is a very well presented car , most of the Japanese imports are. I like the way the advert mentions only '55 were sent to the UK' yes , 55 (still a debateable figure) UK models NOT Japanese imports of which there are more than a few.

As a result this one is less collectable than a UK model but very nice all the same . My C55 lives outside and is driven and showing most of it's nearly 150K miles and every mile I put on it makes the ones that are hidden away more valuable . My guess it will be long time until C55 estates go up in (serious) value so I will just keep enjoying mine .

It would be nice if this one had the standard radio unit in a cardboard box in the boot , even though it probably won't work in the UK so as to keep it whole. I am not sure what is going on with the instrument binnacle ? is that brown ? or just a trick of the light 🤷‍♂️ ?

I agree about the parking sensors , my car does not have them either. When new there were very few boxes you could tick when buying a £50K+ C55 AMG as the car was pretty much loaded . One of the boxes was parking sensors at about £500 (why not standard ?) and why a new owner would not tick that box is a mystery to me. They are not really necessary as its not a big car , but I think is a bit of a daft thing to leave off such a car.

P.S I disagree on the wood trim. I did not look at loads of C55's when I bought mine , but if they had wood interior (the lighter wood is horrible IMHO) I did not look any further at the car.

This C55 will be a nice car for someone. Hopefully they will drive it and not put it away hoping to make a buck on it .

In a few years price will be even higher for these cars.
If you're too cheap to pay now, in a few years you will run away.

The 500E might be a good investment or not?
They are a good investment, but lower milage ones are more desirable.
With those miles it probably needs £5000+ in deferred maintenance, I'd buy if it was being sold at 28,000

They are a good investment, but lower milage ones are more desirable.
With those miles it probably needs £5000+ in deferred maintenance, I'd buy if it was being sold at 28,000
please can you list the deferred maintenance

Reactions: SG1
I retract my statement on it being overpriced. It's in the UK and there are less of them there

In terms of possible deferred maintenance:
  1. Remedy missing minor items --
  2. Replacement of 29-year-old chassis, suspension and engine rubber (motor mounts, breather hoses, coolant hoses, suspension rubber, and so forth) --
  3. Removal of engine-bay surface corrosion -- depends on need and extent found; also to consider any possible undisclosed corrosion on car's underside
  4. Mechanical examination/repairs/lubrication of various systems -- depends on need. Sunroof and mechanical hinge points on car likely need lubrication. Engine harnesses and ETA need to be checked for faulty wiring, and replaced ASAP if not previously documented or evident from labels as being replaced (not likely on a car with this mileage)
  5. Top up/change all fluids.
These obviously could of been already looked after.

I'm very much into my W124's and know these cars well. This car is definitely not what I would call cheap but represents excellent value and is fairly priced given the market right now. There only seem to be a few for sale in the UK and they are getting more and more desirable it seems.

Another advantage is the colour which is very rare on a W124036, most are black or silver which is nice but common! Also Edward Hall would not be selling this car if it was not spot on - I know him well and he is very fussy with what he sells.

There are other dealers with average cars asking £10k plus in some cases for the similar or worse cars. If I hadn't of just bought one a month ago then I would have had this!

It's a collector's car rather than a daily driver, and collector's cars generally appreciate, not depreciate. It's worth whatever a collector is prepared to pay for it. In my view, it's rather sad; cars are for being enjoyed by being driven, not for investments.

Incidentally, when I took the CLS in to Terry Gates this morning for a check over, he had one of these there, in black, but with a deeper, solid, front bumper without the lower slats. At first quick glance from in front, I thought it was a Chrysler 300C...😞

It's a collector's car rather than a daily driver, and collector's cars generally appreciate, not depreciate. It's worth whatever a collector is prepared to pay for it. In my view, it's rather sad; cars are for being enjoyed by being driven, not for investments.

Incidentally, when I took the CLS in to Terry Gates this morning for a check over, he had one of these there, in black, but with a deeper, solid, front bumper without the lower slats. At first quick glance from in front, I thought it was a Chrysler 300C...😞
Time to visit specsavers slim.

Yes sold & collected pretty instantly. I was with Ed yesterday and was hoping to take a look if it hadn't been collected but was already gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom