W124 500TE - Lets do this!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After the "production" of a motor car that is a "one off" not just in appearance but including structural changes to the original what "hoops have to be jumped though" to get the car road legal? I am thinking of DVLA and insurers.
You may have some credibility and experience with both DVLA and insurers but if I, for instance, just took it upon myself to mutilate a motor car with no real understanding of what structural weakening I might be introducing I could be endangering not only myself but other road users.
I appreciate that there will be many who do things without reporting what has been done to either DVLA or insurers but you cannot take that risk.......what has to be done to satisfy the authorities that you have a road legal and safe (MOT) motor car?

Mic

You must report to insurance the modification.

The DVLA will need to be updated with engine number and capacity change.

Nothing else is required as far as I know.

Well Serdi UK, the chaps who are treating the block with colgate extra silicony, had quoted two weeks turnaround.

I decided to take on the role of the annoying customer and rang them just over a week.

Well to my surprise they said, “yep, its just coming off the line now and its ready.”

So our TJ was despatched to Middlesex expediently in the company jet.

The block is now back here and I hope this is the correct finish we are looking for???!

Our A170 CDI did not fare so well. It seems a pulley or possibly the timing chain is rattling away very loudly and TJ barely made it back. 43K miles the car has done.. Whats that cheesy quote? They don’t make em….. Ah well, a job for tomorrow.

The charge for this work was very reasonable at £30 + VAT per cylinder.

I now have something to get my teeth into again…

500te113.jpg

500te114.jpg

Serdi are the absolute business Jay. They did my last 16v Cosworth head and I was blown away by their professionalism, attention to detail and quality of their work.

I often pass by locally and wouldn’t take engine parts anywhere else now, first class :cool:

Colour wise, it’s got to be blue-black. No point in going ‘similar’ when both cars are already in the correct shade and the shuts/panels etc are already correct. IMHO it’s adds to the authenticity and looks right too :thumb:

thanks Will, yes totally impressed with Serdi and will use them again in the future, for sure.

Hi All,

I dont think this engine wants to go back in the car. I have another slight set back.

Earlier today, i installed the new chain, guides etc. Turned the engine by hand a few times and everything spot on. My 6mm "factory tools" for checking camshaft timing nicely drop into place when crank is at 45 before TDC.

Then tonight I installed the timing case cover with new O rings and using the usual Mercedes sealant that I keep. This is the stuff recommended for timing covers, its sticky, tacky and never really goes hard.

Then I installed the oil pump, upper pan and lower pan. Took my time, didnt want to rush anything.

All good.

I rotate the engine back around on the engine stand to its normal position and start packing tools away for the night.

I notice a rubber O ring perched on the camshaft pulley.

Took me a moment but I realised what happened.... I may have cursed a couple of times.

So now I need to undo all that work. This is not the problem. The problem is I have to wait for new gaskets from Mercedes which im sure will be a 2-3 day order.

GRRRRR.

Yes, yes, im glad I noticed it now rather than once installed, but I think this engine is really trying to get me back for messing with it.

My 6mm "factory tools" for checking camshaft timing

I like the look of these by the way, very stylish. :D

I notice a rubber O ring perched on the camshaft pulley.

Took me a moment but I realised what happened.... I may have cursed a couple of times.

Unlucky but at least you spotted it Jay. :)

Many years ago I remember putting a Ford 1500 pre-crossflow engine back together, then turning round to see the row of cam followers on the bench looking at me. :(

This was at 9.45PM and the lights in the shed I was working in were on a timer and went off at 10.00, so I had no option but to go to the pub. Always another day...

Spot the difference:

500te118.jpg

Just gotta laugh.

The changes to M119 block and heads are a nightmare as these three excerpts will illustrate
960 - tall deck head - not interchangeable with any other model - 38mm intake and double valve springs - heavier pistons 10.1 comp

971/975 - short deck heads (identical engines heads) - 11.1 comp - major changes to pistons -cams -valve train -cam timing

970/972/974 -short deck heads (assume identical engines) 10.1 comp - different pistons to as above -plus different cams/cam timing

980 - short deck heads - different engine specs (crank/rods etc) -10.1 comp - different pistons to above - different cams/cam timing - reduced inlet valves to 35mm - different design inlet manifold

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/M119/M119_1993_updates.pdf

That's before we get into the closed deck / open deck thing which seems to have occured mid/late 1993

All 119.960 blocks are tall deck(245 mm from crank to deck surface) and closed deck. All other m119 are short deck(228 mm) .M119.970/972/974 up until late August 1993 production are closed deck and can be identified by a wider serpentine belt system. These are the only short deck engines AMG bored and stroked for 6 liters. They are in cars up to early 94. The rest are short and open deck m119.970/972/974/980/982/984. M119.971/975/981/985 are 4.2 liter displacement.

Soooo--- its either a head gasket for an early tall deck 960 or a later 980? open deck.:confused:

I ordered all early gaskets. Turns out there is an intermediate option for the right gasket only which mine needs... 5 days from germany

I know... Production is now stopped until the gasket arrives.

Yesterday I spent hours hoovering all the metal dust inside the car created by Chris.

I also plucked up the courage to hook up a battery to test some of my wiring. Fire exinguisher was positioned nearby.

Happy to report that fuel pumps work as evidenced by the stain on our ceiling. Horn works, front driving lamps work, all interior lights work.

Thats about all I can check until the engine is in.

Last edited:
INTERLUDE! ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thats an awesome car but even when it was sold 10 years or so ago, it was a LOT of money.

Yay the head gasket has arrived:

500te120.jpg

500te121.jpg

So today spent some time and put the head back on.

Then I resealed the timing case cover with the correct orange sealant, part number A0019898920/10.

Once this was on I reinstalled the oil pump, oil level sensor and finally the bottom sump.

There is debate on whether to use sealant with the paper gasket here or not. I decided to go with the Mercedes instructions and went with a thin layer at the back end of the block.

Mercedes specify their own clear RTV sealant here A0029894520. Expensive stuff it its just regular RTV.

P.s. I over ordered loads of both of the above sealants. If anyone wants any at trade price, I’ll be happy to sell.

Once both the timing case and bottom pans were on, I could go about setting the timing.

I had to remove the right camshaft adjuster mechanism in order to be able to fit one of the head bolts that goes into timing chain. I wish I hadn’t have done this. It was a pig to get back together again due the tension in the spring.

In hindsight I should have just removed the camshaft altogether, put the bolt in and refit the camshaft complete.

Anyway, all done and set up the timing. Pushed around 8 turns of the engine and the factory 6mm pins have dropped into their holes each time.

Note the old water pump was just fitted temporarily for the timing marker fitted to it.

New water pump and ancillaries to be fitted next.

500te122.jpg

500te123.jpg

500te124.jpg

500te124.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom