W124 '92 230E - Starts then stalls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cattan

Car
2001 E320CDI Wagon
My son just bought an old W124 (230e) saloon with several faults, and I am trying to help him to get this car back on the road (I have had several W210's, a couple of W126's and currently I am the proud (?) owner of a W163, but I never touched a W124 before now...)

First of all, there was the typical EHA valve trouble (vibrations/smoke/no power etc.) , so I replaced the O-rings and the engine fired perfectly and was running smoothly until I turned it of.

Now it starts but stalls after a few seconds.

I removd the air filter house/casing, then cleaned the air intake, but still no luck in getting the engine to keep on running.

However, if I clamp the the air intake disk (choke?) down/open while starting the car everything is normal and the engine runs smoothly without any strange noises (and the previous "steam-train smoke" is gone :) ).

I have tried to adjust the mixture screw but this does not make any difference. If I remove the clamp, the engine stalls immedeately.

I hope to get some advise how to get this old lady back on the road again :)

Could be that the air flow sensor plate needs a bit of a clean if has old sticky fuel deposits on it - my Mk1 Golf has a similar set up I think and when it had been standing for several years had same problem. I sprayed lots of Carburettor cleaner on it whilst holding it up carefully with a small magnet and was perfect afterwards. Also if it has a similar K-jetronic metering head there is a small brass plunger in the centre of the metering head when you unscrew it and again theses jam up on the VW's, carb cleaner fixes this as well.

Other thing might be a choked /collapsed catalytic convertor- giving excessive exhaust back pressure- assuming the car has one??

The potentiometer on the side of throttle may need replacing .

Could you please guide me to the wherabouts of this?

I have cleaned the sensor plate (and I also managed to clean a lot of fuel out from under the plate) but no further luck in getting her to run properly.

I am starting to think it could be a leakage in one of the hoses connecting the idle control valve? I am planning to take the valve out for cleaning and I will check the hoses.

I recon, if one of the hoses is damaged, this could prevent the plate from moving the way it should?

potentiomiter.

cattan the potentiomiter is on the side of throttle body .Its retained by 4 screws ..If you remove it, then it must go back in same place.So mark the throttle body .And also to inspect it you will need to take out the fuel regulator .to get at the botton screw in the potentiomiter. First i would find out how to check the potentiomiter out in situ before you removed it. See picture of a good one and bad one . And it location.

Last edited:
Yes you need to check simple things first air control valve can leak through the hose under the bottom of it .Remove it from the saddle only 2 bolts and conection on the rear. On the bench fill it up with white spirits ,carb cleaner or the likes.Give it a good shake ,you know how to do this yes lol. Dont put it right in the fluid as it as electronic bits inside.Refit the hoses make sure they are well in place .

Yes you need to check simple things first air control valve can leak through the hose under the bottom of it .Remove it from the saddle only 2 bolts and conection on the rear. On the bench fill it up with white spirits ,carb cleaner or the likes.Give it a good shake ,you know how to do this yes lol. Dont put it right in the fluid as it as electronic bits inside.Refit the hoses make sure they are well in place .

Thanx for your help!

I have cleaned the valve and replaced all of the hoses. Sadly there is no improvement, so I guess it is off to the workshop for further checking (first time in my life I gave up on a car, but this KE-jetronic stuff is too much to handle :-(

Many thanks to all for hints and advices!

Cattan please let us know if you get your car fixed .And if so , what was the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom