W124 Aircon Evaporator change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
Guys

It seems my aircon evaporator finally needs to be changed. Has anyone completed this swap out? Would it be best to approach from the engine bay side or via the dashboard?
Any advice appreciated, I am sure its a B#gger of a job.

thanks

Paul

Hi,
I believe it has to come out from the inside of the car, i,m sure that there is a "HOW TO" on one of the American MB forums somewhere.
I don,t envy you the job, I thought it was gone on my C43, I got all the work instructions on WIS, and the amount of removals to get access to it was daunting, the whole dash board and steering column!, I would think it was a very similar on a W124.
Good luck.

Guys

It seems my aircon evaporator finally needs to be changed. Has anyone completed this swap out? Would it be best to approach from the engine bay side or via the dashboard?
Any advice appreciated, I am sure its a B#gger of a job.

thanks

Paul

Yep, dashboard all out:) Use your digital camera when you get to the tricky bits. The memory can plays funny tricks at midnight :confused::crazy::)

Sorry I have no advice to give.

I'm just wondering when does one know the evaporator needs replacing? What goes wrong? What isn't the system doing that it should?

Sorry I have no advice to give.

I'm just wondering when does one know the evaporator needs replacing? What goes wrong? What isn't the system doing that it should?

Loosing Aircon gas, my indie would top it up and in 2 days all gone. We installed some dye to help locate the fault and the leak pointed to the evaporator. The dash was having some new bulbs fitted at the same time.

Some scary update pics
IMAG0604.jpg

IMAG0598.jpg

IMAG0596.jpg

Looks like my coupe when I fitted my Becker.

At least the steering is still intact.

The less technology the better I say - I knew there was a reason I chose a car without air con.

I've done one and it took about 20 hours. It's just nuts & bolts, though. No rocket science involved

Nick Froome

Last edited by a moderator:
gorgeous things these 124's when they are stripped out arent they!?

..i love it!

20 hours, so a very expensive job to replace some parts if/when the aircon isn't up to scratch:-(

Absolutely. Completely uneconomic. You'll find lots of stories on US forums of S Classes being written off due to evaporator failures

If you are willing to do the donkey work and have a tame aircon engineer the job isn't too hard to do

Nick Froome

Last edited by a moderator:
Last Sunday the light on my aircon switch came on (in this car,Cl600) light on =a/c cooling off. I could not get the light to go off. I at first thought it may be because the temp outside was to low, showed three on the dash. I garaged the car and turned the heating (garage) up to 15deg, the light was still lit. I thought perhaps I had evaporator problems (car is 2005) the car has tier 1, so I took it to the main dealer, after removing what looked like half the dash the chap said it was the evaporator temperature sensor that was at fault and the evaporator was ok. I had the new sensor fitted today and all is well (took over three hours) I posted this as the information may be of use to other members who have a like problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom