W124 alarm/immobiliser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave

Car
'95 E220T
I have a '95 220T and want to know if it has an alarm /immobiliser fitted. I looked at the specs on the Russian site and it's not down as one of the original options chosen.
I can't belive MB would sell a car in '95 for £30k and not have a standard alarm/immobiliser fitted:eek:
Oh well, one less thing to go wrong!

Sometimes better off without the dealer fit type because there's little documentation if they go wrong . You can always get an up to date one fitted professionally if your worried.

I bought a new C230k back in 96 and that had a dealer fit Scorpion Alarm - went wrong quite often usually at 3am !

Probably should not admit this but my alarm unarms itself sometimes when its wet. I never get false alarms or anything; i will be havin git updated as I know its n old one anyway

As stated by others there was no factory alarm in MB models until the new EIS was introduced. If you have a normal looking key or a flip-style key then it is likely that your car has a dealer-installed alarm rather than factory.

As also stated by others this is a good thing as the dealer-supplied items were bought in bulk and there is little documentation or information regarding these units.

The answer is to spend a few hundred pounds on an aftermarket alarm system made by a respected manufacturer and fitted by an installer that has been recommended. You could have total-closure on your windows and sunroof, central door locking and several other features possibly not available on your car from new :) .

W124 1994 - mine has an immobiliser and remote alarm fob. Branded Mercedes one with some documentation. Although it does work fine, as i only have 1 fob, i was told by Charles Ironside that its best not to use it as if i lock it and it breaks, i'll never get it started again with it and therefore cost £££'s replacing stuff as the fobs are no longer produced.

thanks

derek

those ones were made by Scorpion IIRC... they are great when they work, but as has been said, i wouldnt risk using them now as they could leave you stranded... i would spend £250 and get a Cat1 alarm fitted if i were you SS.. or just remove the Mercedes one...

Thanks for all your replies.
I guess back in '95 MB thought it was more important to have a soft closing boot than a decent alarm system.

well lets be honest, whats the point of one... all it does is wake up the neighbours... if someone wants the car, they will take it...

Immobilisers - another story

those ones were made by Scorpion IIRC... they are great when they work, but as has been said, i wouldnt risk using them now as they could leave you stranded... i would spend £250 and get a Cat1 alarm fitted if i were you SS.. or just remove the Mercedes one...

i'm not using it - i am just opening/locking it with the manual key. i leave the remote fob in a drawer at home.

doesnt bother me at the moment so i may just keep doing that.

Thanks for all your replies.
I guess back in '95 MB thought it was more important to have a soft closing boot than a decent alarm system.

I remember a piece in a newspaper a few years ago. It said that you were eight times more likely to have your car stolen in the UK than in Germany. This was under the headline: "Are we a nation of car thieves?" - to which the only possible answer is: "Apparently, yes"

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

just a thought.... - if i were to find an exact keyfob the same as my own - can this be programmed using the "resyncing" in the little booklet i have with it???

I don't know if these people [ took scorpion over??] can help or not but might be worth a phonecall?
http://www.scorpionauto.com/keyfobs.html The later cars-with the led in the drivers door handle-- used mercedes benz own "flip key" fobs to activate the "dealer fit" alarms via the MB remote locking system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom