W124 AMG Estate Signal Red

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
This arrived at my warehouse this afternoon, on it's way back from the body shop.

It's still in progress and will be benefiting from a light change back to original orange corners.

The exhaust were the previous owners taste and are staying until a decent AMG back box is sourced.

The only thing that didn't look right to me was the grille, after looking at it a while we think painting the frame read and leaving the centre black will make it less in your face. Plus possibly removing the star off the top.

It's actually a 320TE, the owner enjoys the recreation of these cars rather than absolutely having to have a correct vehicle (although He does own his fair share of correct AMG cars).

PICT3758.jpg

PICT3759.jpg

PICT3760.jpg

PICT3761.jpg

Now I like the rear tail gate "spoiler" Anyone know where you can buy similar?

The rest is down to the owners taste! Interior is nice.

i find the lines of the w124 estate stunning.. very solid and dynamic.. the later models have lost the elegance.. a lovely solid w124 estate is something on my wish list one day... sportline ofcourse!

agree, the grill looks like a mad max version of the "heritage" grill lol

orange indicators... ah.. this will look good if the original bits are put back.. or perhaps the clear side lenses with the orange reflector line (us style)

Also in the pipeline is an AMG Hammer recreation.

He popped in in a LHD E400 W124 last week, (it was the one for sale in France if anyone remembers it).

That's going to have all the correct AMG bits attached to it for the correct period look.

Looks fun.

Two tone snout might work - its a tricky one as the bumper inserts are body colour which makes it stand out.

What would be the 'correct' set up?

Ade

Looks fun.

Two tone snout might work - its a tricky one as the bumper inserts are body colour which makes it stand out.

What would be the 'correct' set up?

Ade

Well He had asked for the bumper inserts to be black, but the paint guy asked him for a rethink and they went colour coded.

I feel the black frame encroaches on the bonnet line, so two tone dulls it down a little...or at least reduced the black slab that makes the lines look a little wrong.

I agree regarding grille - red frame and black fins would be more subtle.

Anyone got a photo of a W124 with the grille removed? Just wondering what's left behind. I'm not a fan of butchery but joining up the lamps with a frameless grille, and leading edge of the bonnet would look great - this sort of stylee:

2011-vwtouareg-7.jpg

Always tricky when you modify a design that's been thought about carefully. The 'heritage grille' is an odd beast at the best of times.

Perhaps red surround and matt red grille :D

I'd go for authenticity what ever that would be - might look odd, but you can say its what AMG would have done.. ;)

Alternatively a face lift bonnet...

Ade

Those bits beneath the bumper at the back. Are they lifting points for the fork lift?:D

Apart from that. Gorgeous!

i like it.... although i would have left the grill standard.

Now that i like,is not for sale by any chance is it?

Now that i like,is not for sale by any chance is it?

Actually I asked for first refusal if He decides.

He has quite a few cars and actually enjoys the refurbishment process more than driving the cars.

If you were genuine and offered the right money then anything is possible. It's likely He'll want to enjoy it a while first though as this has scratched his itch for a nice W124 estate that's a bit diffferent.

Actually I asked for first refusal if He decides.

He has quite a few cars and actually enjoys the refurbishment process more than driving the cars.

If you were genuine and offered the right money then anything is possible. It's likely He'll want to enjoy it a while first though as this has scratched his itch for a nice W124 estate that's a bit diffferent.

I`m genuine but i also enjoy refurbishment so unless is not big money,anything is possible :thumb:.I know that`s a remus exhaust bot i tell him that i does`nt look right.

Let me know please :)

Yeah, the exhausts aren't pretty at all....that's already been agreed.

I'll let him know you're interested next time He pops in.

I think it's nice (agree about the grille) ... however I'd personally lose the "3.6" badging if it's really a 320.

I know what you're saying, I normally don't even like correct badging, never mind up badging. But somehow, because this is a recreation I think it gets away with it.

He's even sourced an air intake for the top of the engine with the 3.6 marked on it.

The more I look at it, the more I'm sure the grille surround should be red.

Can anyone do a photoshop on the image of just the surround into body colour?

Last edited:
Glad he's enjoying himself, it would look so much better in black. I do like the rear spoiler too.

Gorgeous car this! Was a right a pain though. Put it through an mot when we picked it up and it failed on a few bushes, brakes etc. So gave it all new groved discs and greenstuff pads all round, the owner sourced all genuine amg shocks and springs. The car had SLS which had been disabled as the pump failed, so we got a new pump, fitted it, and the pipes exploded! Had to take the subframe off to do the pipes and bushes which turned out to be rotten through and I had to source another. Quickly turned into a full brake and suspension rebuild and a quick paint of things while we're down there. Sourced, painted and fitted a new subframe, with 4 new subframe bushes and 10 new link arms, all new brake and sls pipes front to back in the end!

post-1099-1253153531.jpg

Now just to nick a bit from another thread. This owner has to be famous. Even if only on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom