W124 and antifreeze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marjanov

Car
Mercedes W124
Please could someone let me know how many litres of antifreeze and which colour antifreeze l need for Mercedes W124 230E year 1992 engine code M102.982?
Thank You

approx 8.5 litres 50/50 water antifreeze- but may depend on capacity of any replacement radiator fitted best way is to catch and measure volume of drained coolant and replace with same volume. 5 litres should be fine with some spare for top up. MB AF that meets 325.0 should be fine.

[URL ]https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/325.0_en.html[/URL]

Last edited:
Genuine MB 5 Litre coolant for that era of car is blue in colour and very reasnably priced from the dealer.

The MB coolant of the era was the gold stuff (G05 Chemistry). The Blue stuff is the BMW coolant which was adopted by MB in recent years. Either will be fine for long life coolant and the green one is also just fine provided that you change it every two years.

I am not brave to take off coolant drain plug.I read here it is important to drain engine block too and not mix antifreeze.
Mercedes is 28 years old and l do not know when last time someone change antifreeze and block drain plug.
Is there possibility to snap/brake that bolt(plug)
Please help me to decide what to do.
Thanks

DON'T mess with the block drain plug after all this time only trouble lies there. The block water passages are never going to be clean- if worried about residual coolant refill with a flushing fluid or plain water before draining a second time- only then fill with fresh A/F mix. Some people find it helpfull to remove and back flush the radiator on a neglected system.

Comma G48 antifreeze is fine for your car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom