W124 and C124 Wheel fitments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babyblueCE

Car
300 CE
Hello all, its been a while coming on the forum partly because my CE has been driving wonderfully even in the cold so no need to post questions. However, i am due to treat my baby to a set of AMG rims and was wondering if the wheel fitment on a W124 is the same on a C124, I'm asking because i have seen a set of rims and the buyer has advised that they will fit on a W124 89-92 but not a C124? :dk:

Accodring to www.alloywheelsdirect.net they are all the same. Their site has a comprehensive fitting chart so you can check your prospective purchase to be sure.

Last edited:
They`ll fit wether coupe saloon or estate

I thought that the body of the sportline version of the A/S/C124 is lower by about 15mm. This may be enough to question the fitting of say, 18 inch wheels.

iirc sportline lowers 20mm over standard.

ive got 18 AMG mono's x8 ET31 (Offset) and my coupe is pretty much slammed. For my wheels to work properly for the height its sitting i had to roll the arches front and rear and just to be extra, instead of using a 225/45 'standard fitment' tyre, ive used a 215/45 still within tolerance however which gives me an inner slant in tyre wall profile to tuck under the arches further more under extreme compression.

18's on a standard set up, even with sportline lowering shouldnt pose a threat. Its when you go lower, 40mm + on 18's that may cause a prob.

IMO the ideal wheel for a 124 is a 17x7.5 ET35. I had these too, but for my preference the looks didnt quite cut it for me thats why i went for 18's.

Btw, you havnt mentioned what AMG's they are, im just assuming they might be monoblocks? It could be the seller is going by the ET size of the AMG's, maybe thats why he's saying they might not work?

Last edited:
IMO the ideal wheel for a 124 is a 17x7.5 ET35. I had these too, but for my preference the looks didnt quite cut it for me thats why i went for 18's.

but this is not the recommended size in 17inch. The recommended size is 17x7.5J ET42 with 225/45 x 17 tyres.

I have the 17x7.5J ET42 AMGs on mine. In my opinion they look great but they do catch on the front mudflaps if you take a speed bump a little too quickly. The ride is not quite as good as the 15 inch were but its hardly noticeable. They certainly grip better though.

I have the 17x7.5J ET42 AMGs on mine. In my opinion they look great but they do catch on the front mudflaps if you take a speed bump a little too quickly. The ride is not quite as good as the 15 inch were but its hardly noticeable. They certainly grip better though.

This does not sound right. Are you sure it is not the mudflaps catching on the speed bump?

This does not sound right. Are you sure it is not the mudflaps catching on the speed bump?
You might be right but it does not sound like it and no scratches on the bottom of the mudflaps. Maybe the flaps are not sitting right. Its going to Ollys on friday for its service so I will get him to check. At least it means I take the bumps so slowly it should not damage the suspension.

so would it be safe to say that if i lower the car by 40mm all round i should be able to clear the arches with 18" alloys with a decent set of tires on them or would i be catching the arches?

18s are a step too far in my opinion but I know others have fitted them. If you are lowering as well you will probably need to roll the arches to give a bit more clearance.

so would it be safe to say that if i lower the car by 40mm all round i should be able to clear the arches with 18" alloys with a decent set of tires on them or would i be catching the arches?

No need to roll the arches as you will not experience any interference on a lowered C124 providing that you keep the wheels to a max 18x8 ET35 and the tire to no more then a 225/40-18.

Ran this combo for a few years using H&R Sport lowering springs on a 1988 C124 :thumb:

CE12.jpg

apologies in my previous post im running 215/40 as opposed to 225/40 standard fit for 18x8

not a 45 profile.:doh:

You just need to fit the wings spacers as recommended by Merc in their wheel book.

part number B6 6 02 0072.

last time I looked it was only £9.25 and very easy to fit, and will move the wheel arch out a little to prevent rubbing with 225 tyres.

Go according to what Billy and Ed have said, they are both already running 18s (well Ed used to anyway). Also take kth286's advice to regarding the AMG spacers, they help a lot!

Im running 17x8.25 ET34 all round with 225/45 up front and 235/45 in the rears. I also have the AMG spacers up front and it helps loads for that extra clearance.

You just need to fit the wings spacers as recommended by Merc in their wheel book.

part number B6 6 02 0072.

last time I looked it was only £9.25 and very easy to fit, and will move the wheel arch out a little to prevent rubbing with 225 tyres.

Easy to fabricate from nylon or teflon round bar stock...

AMG_fender_spacer-2.jpg

so where exactly would these spacers fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom