W124 arb bracket keeps on snapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

On my silver W124 estate the front ARB bracket on the drivers side keeps snapping.

I've replaced it 3 times now. The 1st time I put it down to age and replaced the rubber bushes at the same time with MB parts.

2nd time i put it down to duff replacment (non-MB but MELEE branded) and replaced just the bracket

3rd time I read up on here and ensured i didnt tighten the rubber mounts too tight and made sure all 4 wheels were on the ground before i did up the nuts.

now its snapped again.

Should I be looking at a new ARB bar or genuine MB bracket, or something else.

cheers!

Derek

are you talking about the inner bracket that hangs down and holds the bar?

OR the clamps that hold the ends of the bar near the wheels?

My only guess would be the front spring/shocker /suspension arm bush on the side in question is broken/weak meaning the roll bar is taking more suspension loading than its designed for? :dk:

its the "inner" mount, ie nearer the centre of the car.

about 4 months between snaps.

I'll check the suspension mounts on that wheel, thanks. Worth noting the car passed MOT between having a snapped arb mount - i replaced it for the MOT but snapped a few months later, so the suspension parts would of been tested then i guess.

Last edited:
Guess there's nothing stopping you re-enforcing both mounts with some extra metal welded in place??

Had one go on my 300TD. I don't think they like sleeping policemen very much...or high kerbs

There is a small reinforcing brace which goes between the bracket and the top mounting bolt which may have been lost?

I used a different nut and bolt at the clamp, to reduce the clearance, and large washers both sides to 'spread the load' - it's been ok for two years now so touch wood...

Last edited:
Had one go on my 300TD. I don't think they like sleeping policemen very much...or high kerbs

thats exactly where its broken on mine on all occassions.

Thing is I have another W124 estate which drives the same roads and not had a problem at all...

I thought about buying a new bracket and welding extra metal bracing to it. I'll also try the idea of adding big washers to it and different bolt.

the "spacer" thing is still there too. I did think about spacing it even more so it effectively sits lower maybe... but i would prefer a "proper fix".

Looked like it fractured from vibration to me, so I tried to reduce the movement in as many places as I could, can't remember if I drilled the bracket or found an Imperial thread that was tighter clearance in the end...I remember I tightened the frame bolt last and made sure it looked as straight as possible in case it was being pulled off-centre...got quite picky, but it's worked so far.

Thought about reinforcing my new one, but worried it might cause a failure somewhere else, easier to replace the bracket than repair the frame mounting, for example

Seems some cars do it fairly frequently, but I suspect many are due to vibration fractures...maybe the bracket has a resonant frequency too near the car or something mad...maybe try welding a weight on the bracket :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom