w124 auto ignition barrel / key problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danny allen

Car
1975 custom mk1 VW Golf, 1995 Mercedes C180 Esprit, Porsche 356 project
Hi all

ive been to collect the w124 ive bought today and couldnt get the key to work in the barrell. I know its the right key as i drove the car ages ago and it came off a friend.

The car has had the battery disconnected for a few months.

The key just wont turn in the barrell

So far

I have tried with foot on and off brakes

with hand brake on and off

I have taken all of the surround off and noticed a little plastic stitch on the side of the barrell with wires that go to the handbrake

Im at a bit of a loss here

any idea please guys :(

cheers in advance

Danny

Stupid question to ask,but is the gear knob on P?Also is the steering locked

Last edited:
yeah it is, that was my first thought, i now think im mad lol

the steering lock is on, tried wiggling it but it still doesnt free off

would the cable fromn the shifter to the lock be broken or stretched ?

what would happen if i unscrewed this from the sode of the lock mechanism?

could the battery being disconnected have sodded anything up ?

could the battery being disconnected have sodded anything up ?
Nah.So you are moving the steering left to right while you trying to turn the key?Sorry to keep asking this

danny - see your other thread :)

One of the site mods has had and dealt with this problem in the past - I've dropped him a PM on your behalf.

danny

You need to STOP everything immediately and order a new barrel from the Merc dealer.

Take VIN and documents for proof of identity and ownership (may need to be done in friend's name if ownership has not yet been officially passed).

Cost is about £70 ish.

the barrel will just slide out when the lugs are depressed.

Now a BIG warning.

If the lock jams completely you are facing a VERY BIG BILL to have the steering column removed/hacked.

It is a common problem on higher mileage cars - see posts on merc forums.

Now a BIG warning.

If the lock jams completely you are facing a VERY BIG BILL to have the steering column removed/hacked.

It is a common problem on higher mileage cars - see posts on merc forums.

Actually, Its not so bad even at the point when you have to resort to an angle grinder. Replacing the steering column is either scaremongery or some unscrupulous dealer trying to make a fast buck.

The first thing to ask is where is the car? Is it safe where it is for a few days while the new barrel is on order or does it need moving fast?

Does the key turn at all (to position 1 maybe?)

Also, can you get electricity to reach the car (I'm thinking of a Dremel at this point)

Last edited:
ive sorted it :)

i used a slide hammer to pull the ignition barrell out and ive ordered a new one from mercedes :)

well I am from essex :)

Did you damage anything else?

nope not a thing

all it did was bend the black metal tang

Ive dont this to loads of golfs and beetles over the years, i run a vw restoration company
smile.gif

I thought you guys might know a way where i didnt have to resort to it :lol:

"Now a BIG warning.
If the lock jams completely you are facing a VERY BIG BILL to have the steering column removed/hacked."

Been there, done it -- on my W126. Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

To others: If there is one problem that really does need to be nipped in the bud, it's this one. Get it sorted at the the first sign of trouble -- the first sign, not the second or third.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom