w124 Avantgarde Grille (pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bloodmoon

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde
Using KillerHERTZ excellent w202 HOWTO, I decided to remove my tired old grille and replace it with the grille from the W210 (Cut to size).

I apologise in advance for the poor pics...

Original Pre-facelift grille:

800x600_OldGrille.jpg

Shiny new w210 grille:

800x600_Newgrille3.jpg

Frontal shot at Shude's house:

800x600_Frontal_Newgrille.jpg

What do you think?

--
Ant

bloodmoon said:
Using KillerHERTZ excellent w202 HOWTO

Cheers! but your pictures dont load :(

Edit, they do now, looks alot newer :)

I also recommend you buy some numberplate backing plates. about £3.50 each and if you buy new plates, you wont have any wholes and it will look better

Last edited:
KillerHERTZ said:
I also recommend you buy some numberplate backing plates. about £3.50 each and if you buy new plates, you wont have any wholes and it will look better
I recommend you be careful what you say KillerHERTZ, he already bought some plate holders from eutags and they don't fit! ;)

Ive seen them avertised in M.E. magazine, I wouldnt mind a set of AMG ones, but I think I will steer clear now :)

KillerHERTZ said:
Ive seen them avertised in M.E. magazine, I wouldnt mind a set of AMG ones, but I think I will steer clear now :)
They fit perfectly onto the bumpers etc but the standard plates won't fit in them for some reason, I think plastic plates are fractionally too thick.

Looks great, a real big improvement. One slight criticism though, (mebbe its just me) Are the slats parallel on the drivers side coz they look a bit off to me?

Anyhow, minor detail...Was this the standard W210 part? if so, where from and how much?

Looks excellent:bannana:

How did you make a 202 grille fit. From killerhertz pics i see 5 slats, yours is taller with 8 slats??
Where did you get the grille from?

Cheers

Jay

Sp!ke said:
Looks great, a real big improvement. One slight criticism though, (mebbe its just me) Are the slats parallel on the drivers side coz they look a bit off to me?

Anyhow, minor detail...Was this the standard W210 part? if so, where from and how much?

Hehe, well spotted. :)

The grille arrived broken in 2 pieces :( This probably happened during shipping. I imported it from Canada and sending it back would have cost me more in time, customs charges and shipping than the grille was actually worth. So I had to make do the best I could.

I braced the grille with some strong plastic on the end of each side. Bonded it on with EvoStick, and clamped it overnight. Unfortunately, the drivers side had broken so badly that it is out by about half a centimeter.

Not too concerned as I may eventually upgrade to the facelift bonnet/grille, so for now - it suits my needs ;)

--
Ant

Last edited:
jaymanek said:
How did you make a 202 grille fit. From killerhertz pics i see 5 slats, yours is taller with 8 slats??
Where did you get the grille from?

Its the W210 grille :) I used the w202 HOWTO as a reference for installing mine.

I imported it from Canada because I am a cheapskate ;)

--
Ant

jaymanek said:
hmm wonder if it would fit a 123...
You need to buy the pre-facelift W210 avantgarde grill, it's about £80 I think and it's absolutely HUGE. It's cut to shape by MB to fit the w202, and the one that Bloodmoon has is also from the W210 as it's got the same part number as my own grill (so cut to shape). Just buy the grill, take out your own grill, compare, cut and take pics for the forum! :)

hmmm youve sold me, anyone got a part number for oem??

Cheers

Jay

jaymanek said:
hmmm youve sold me, anyone got a part number for oem??

A210 888 01 23 : LATTICE : EUR 51.38

cheap really.

EDIT: ***WARNING*** this may be the part number for just the plastic grill, no chrome pieces on it! I should check really... :)

Is it just me but I count seven slats whereas a pre facelift W210 grill has only five.

Where do the extra slats and height come from?

Dieselman said:
Is it just me but I count seven slats whereas a pre facelift W210 grill has only five.

Where do the extra slats and height come from?
I am beginning to think that the grill bloodmoon bought is in fact at least 2 w210 avantgarde grills glued together! That explains why it fell apart on him!

*sigh* they don't make 'em like they used to...

You're probably right. To my knowledge, there never was a grille upgrade for the pre-facelifts. I have seen some shoddy knock offs on eBay, etc but I wanted to at least by a genuine Mercedes-Benz part (or in this case, parts).

Looking at a stock w210 Avantgarde, what Dieselman and Shude have said now makes sense. 2 x w210 grilles hacked together to make a huge "Avantgarde-style" W124 grille.

Oh well, serves me right for being so cheap :p

--
Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom