w124 back bumper - middle part

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpv01

the centre insert or section of my back bumper and i want to replace just this bit rather than the whole bumper.

can this section be seperated and if so how? is it easy or difficult to remove and refit the back bumper (hard to unbolt, lots of bolts, heavy when refitting, hard to line up perfectly again, etc)

im assuming i can find a middle bumper section from a bumper that matches my car colour (sliver) from a breaker, mercman etc

The centre section just unclips from the main bumper. IIRC there are 8 bolts that hold the bumper to the car. They line up quite well but I would advise having a helper to assist in the refitting. Just to make sure everything is straight.

the centre insert or section of my back bumper and i want to replace just this bit rather than the whole bumper.

can this section be seperated and if so how? is it easy or difficult to remove and refit the back bumper (hard to unbolt, lots of bolts, heavy when refitting, hard to line up perfectly again, etc)

im assuming i can find a middle bumper section from a bumper that matches my car colour (sliver) from a breaker, mercman etc

They unscrew at the corners and unclip from the main body of the bumper, finding someone willing to sell just part of a used bumper may not the all that easy...

The older type has the black insert as Spike says-the facelift models inserts are bumper coloured-note this may be a slightly different colour to the body e.g. brilliant silver 744 bodied cars have altas grey 181 coloured bumpers. the insert was about £85 from MB several years ago so its worth getting a bumper assembly from a breaker or repairing the existing one and repainting it if its not the correct colour.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.440&CT=F&cat=44Q&SID=88&SGR=075&SGN=03

yeah spot on Grober it is colour coded type. interesting point about the non exact match on the colour code. Looks very similar to the body colour to me.

how do i find out the colour code of my car? is it on the VIN? what from does the colour code take (XXX numbers/letters)?

was there more than one silver shade used on these car in the production year 1994?

It will be interesting to see all the colour codes available on these cars if anyone has that reference.

the colour code should be in the vehicle data sheet at the end of the service book plus on the vehicle data panel beside the VIN plate on the front slam panel. At the time 1994 there was only brilliant silver code 744 and smoke silver 702 (light gold colour) afaik
there are many MB colour listing on the net here's one its american but does have the actual colours
http://www.paintscratch.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom