W124 black exterior trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
A lot of the black trim on the exterior of my W124 estate (Roof rails, windscreen surround, rear window surround and wiper arm cam cover) are looking a bit sorry for themselves and starting to turn white.

Is there anyway to bring them back to their former glory, short of a coat of satin black paint?

Autoglym bumper care is the best renovator I have found. Not so good on painted surfaces like the wiper arm however. Re-painting is the best solution on parts like that.

From factory these trims rolled off the production line are black. Most 124's apart from the very best nick (unless replaced) over time get faded.

They fade to a point where its no longer black get a tinge of a browny/silvery colour, its a bit hard to explain the colour.

IMO the fade looks good and actually prefer it that colour. The Chap at the merc parts dept once told me a customer once came in asking for these trims in the colour i describe.... he then said to the customer they only come in one colour black, its common for these trims to fade.

I think what you describe has gone beyond that and i know what you descripe as i have seen it on other 124's.

Im not sure what you would use however, perhaps some kind of metal polish?

Last edited:
...unless you are talking about the rubber bits of your car then the above is nonsense! Just re read your post and i think you are refering to the actual rubbers on the windows etc and not the actual metal type trimmings??

:confused::doh:

Last edited:
Gtechniq C4.........

gtechniq c4 looks interesting, I may get some of this for the underbonnet plastic parts like the air filter box etc, but it's the exterior metal parts I was hoping to get back into shape.

Looks like I'll have to get them sprayed when the rest of the bodywork is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom