W124 Bling Mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aircondoc

Car
2004 R230 SL350
Hi everybody,
I'm a new member having recently bought a 1995 W124 E220 Cabriolet. Trouble is the previous owner fitted the bling mirrors with the LED indicators. The passenger side is currently flashing when it's in the mood, but I can't figure out how to get it off to check the connections. Is it held on with sticky pads or something? Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers
Eddie.

Hi everybody,
I'm a new member having recently bought a 1995 W124 E220 Cabriolet. Trouble is the previous owner fitted the bling mirrors with the LED indicators. The passenger side is currently flashing when it's in the mood, but I can't figure out how to get it off to check the connections. Is it held on with sticky pads or something? Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers
Eddie.

You need to take the interior trim off to remove the mirror from the car (assuming its fitted same was as standard mirrors). Unclip the interior mirror trim and pull upwards and outwards.

I'd be tempted to sell the LED mirrors on ebay and then buy some original ones

After a bit more investigating, the bling bit is basically a chrome shell which fit over the original mirror casing. It's held on by sticky pads as I thought, which then allows access to the electrics. I haven't had time to solve the problem as yet, however.
Eddie

After a bit more investigating, the bling bit is basically a chrome shell which fit over the original mirror casing. It's held on by sticky pads as I thought, which then allows access to the electrics. I haven't had time to solve the problem as yet, however.
Eddie

if its held on with sticky pads then carefully pull it off and either re-sell it or chuck it in the bin ;-)

is it just the wing mirror indicator flashing strangly, or also the original indicators?

it could be your multi-function relay - do your intermittent wipers stop working at the same time?

My guess is the supply to the LEDS is merely taken off one of the normal indicator supply wires somewhere- there is no normal wiring provision for wing mirror indicators in that vintage of car. Because they're LEDS there will be no current draw to fool the monitoring system. My bet is they have been installed using crude scotchlock crimp connectors on the existing wiring. These connectors can play up after a time due to vibration and are best replaced by good soldered wire connections. Trace back the wiring to find where it connects to the original car winding-unless the indicators themselves are faulty I bet thats where the problem lies.

My guess is the supply to the LEDS is merely taken off one of the normal indicator supply wires somewhere- there is no normal wiring provision for wing mirror indicators in that vintage of car. Because they're LEDS there will be no current draw to fool the monitoring system. My bet is they have been installed using crude scotchlock crimp connectors on the existing wiring. These connectors can play up after a time due to vibration and are best replaced by good soldered wire connections. Trace back the wiring to find where it connects to the original car winding-unless the indicators themselves are faulty I bet thats where the problem lies.

or it could be worse - twisted wires and insulation tape spring to mind :bannana:

Barry's been at it.
DOes it have a huge spoiler and dust bin exhaust end as well? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom