W124 body damage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quenching

Car
'84 W201 2.0E, '91 W124 230TE estate
So I have my 1994 W124 E220 a grand total of 3 days and my neighbour reversed out her driveway this morning straight into my path, resulting in a smashed wing and headlight, possibly the bonnet latch and maybe a shunted in bumper! She's admitted liability but I'm still not a happy camper, at least nobody was hurt.

BTW, those wings are bloody strong, did my best to pull it away from the wheel and it wasn't budging, eventually managed to move it an inch but had to give up then.

I hope the damaged wing was rusty. It would be so unfortunate if your neighbour managed to ruin a good one.

You realise you have to get it all fixed up again, as three days if nowhere near long enough to enjoy your car.

The damaged wing was perfect, in fact there no rust on the car anywhere, even underneath - thats about the only advantage of Irish roads, they don't use salt in the winter so corrosion isn't usually as much of an issue here. It is indeed being fixed, should have it back next week.

So I have my 1994 W124 E220 a grand total of 3 days and my neighbour reversed out her driveway this morning straight into my path, resulting in a smashed wing and headlight, possibly the bonnet latch and maybe a shunted in bumper! She's admitted liability but I'm still not a happy camper, at least nobody was hurt.

BTW, those wings are bloody strong, did my best to pull it away from the wheel and it wasn't budging, eventually managed to move it an inch but had to give up then.

what a pain for you. Hope it's a good repair job.

Turns out my E220 needs a wing, wing liner, bumper, headlight, headlight mounting bracket, some other piece I can't remember but costs £350 from MB, and possibly a bonnet. Have to talk to the guilty party and see if she wants to pay herself or go through insurance. If it goes through insurance the garage say the assessor will probably declare the car a financial write-off!!! Not sure what happens then, but it took me a while to find a decent W124 estate and I'd rather have this one fixed and returned to me.

Turns out my E220 needs a wing, wing liner, bumper, headlight, headlight mounting bracket, some other piece I can't remember but costs £350 from MB, and possibly a bonnet. Have to talk to the guilty party and see if she wants to pay herself or go through insurance. If it goes through insurance the garage say the assessor will probably declare the car a financial write-off!!! Not sure what happens then, but it took me a while to find a decent W124 estate and I'd rather have this one fixed and returned to me.
A member here who`s a very good friend of mine,is going through the same thing :eek:,so if the repairs go over 1500 it might be a write off.Fight for it though and also why can`t the wing be repaired.A new wing from the deales cost`s around 200pounds,so if your wing can be repaired do that.:)

How many miles has the car done-has it leather , aircon, automatic, metallic paint , good self leveling rear suspension, reardoor? If its a w124 E220 estate in good nick [i.e. no rust] its worth a bit--perhaps more than 1500 euros?? Certainly worth repairing IMHO

The wing is a mangled lump of metal, no way its repairable unfortunately. No leather or air con I'm afraid but its a 7 seater metallic silver with a good rear door. I had it inspected last week and its mechanically sound, has had the head gasket done, new catalytic convertor, new rear suspension, new discs, new tyres. A few scratches and minor dings but nothing big and no rust at all, and all the electrics work too. It was a relatively minor crash but she hit just the exact front corner where everything meets, all cosmetic but it all adds up too.

I'm getting more ****** off as I list its good points! I'll do my best to save it but it might end up being decided by insurance companies.

With the exception of the front wing you should be able to pick up sound second hand parts to repair the car yourself if worst comes to worst. Rust free W124s area pretty rare commodity nowadays. Here's a pic of the front bumper assembly parts - looks daunting but the whole thing comes off with just 4 bolts plus acouple of screws at both ends!

Attachments

• front bumper.jpg
    front bumper.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 100
Thanks grober, it does indeed look complicated but these old Mercs are a bit like giant Lego sets, everything seems to fit together without much difficulty. It seems we're going down the insurance route so I won't know much for a few days until the assessor appears.

With the exception of the front wing you should be able to pick up sound second hand parts to repair the car yourself if worst comes to worst. Rust free W124s area pretty rare commodity nowadays. Here's a pic of the front bumper assembly parts - looks daunting but the whole thing comes off with just 4 bolts plus acouple of screws at both ends!

i do have older style bumpers for estate i keep them for spares for my car but can be avail!

Thanks dinoy but I've found a local breaker that has most parts if needed, however it looks like the insurance company gets to make the decision, I'll know in about a week meanwhile I've a hire car on its way, better than the bus I suppose!

Good news at last, the offending parties insurance company has agreed to pay for repairs to my car so I should have it back again next week.

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom