W124 body repairs

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Charles Morgan, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    I have a potential little project, which involves a few bits of bodywork on a W124 saloon. The car is a lovely runner with huge life left in the mechanical side, but with the usual wing rust. I don't want to spend a fortune, indeed, I intend to be disciplined, so any recommendations for body panels welcome - I found these guys with rear wheel arch repair panels - anybody used them?

2. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Is it rusty on the arch or on the dog leg section (the bit covered by the moulding next to the door)?

I know of a forum member having his arches and other scabby bits sorted at the moment, and for quite a reasonable cost too.

3. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    Certainly visibly on the arch, will look at the dog leg section as it is more concealed. Also a rust patch by the join with the rear panel.

Recommendations really gratefully received - reasonable is the watchword, it doesn't have to be the greatest of works, merely better than the current appearance and good for 10 years.

4. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    I would imagine that you'd be looking at £400 to repair the arches, replace and paint the wings and paint down the side of the car - depending on colour and some MB colours fade, giving a patchwork quilt effect if you don't paint large sections.

5. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    The car is that very dark grey black you see on the e500s (it isn't!). If £400 possible then I could have the paint done in larger sections. That would work very well.

6. d w124

d w124 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w124 3.6AMG styling E320 S124 Lorinser styling
    That's very cheap.Charles,if it's the car I'm thinking of it's 199 color and also how are you finding the recaro seats compared to the one on your estate?

7. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    The bonus with facelift 124s (is it a facelift one) is that the cladding covers almost half the side of the car, so less paint and labour is needed.

email me some photos of the car and I'll show them to bodyshop man and I'll get a quote from him, they mainly do trade work for a chain of Honda dealerships so are bit more realistically priced than most, although they do a few classic restorations for some reason - an old Bristol, and a '70s Lambo were recent projects.

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    Thanks Nick - will do so. Need to get my camera charged (moving - can't find which box the charger is in) but will get them off pronto. It is intermediate facelift - side cladding but heritage grill. A very nice combination.

Dash - lovely seats, less support than the ortho seats in the estate though, but that is not surprising. Look really great and with black and walnut, by far the best interior combination.

9. 300CE

300CE MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1990 300CE
    Hi Charles, is it both rear arches and both front wings? I've had a quote of £400.00 to cut out the old rust, fabricate and replace with new metal and respray up to the roof line on the rear arches on mine. There is a 'line' about a quarter of the way down of the rear panel which he said he could spray up to but that you would probably see the difference in colour (being 199) so would depend on how fussy you were.

If you get something like that done, it might be worth picking up some second-hand genuine merc wings on eBay and seeing how much it would cost in addition to get those resprayed and fitted at the same time - just get them cleaned and coated inside with some anti-corrosion wax like Dynax S50.

10. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    The bonus with a saloon is that you have the moulding that seperates the cant rail from the quarter panel, so providing the colour is reasonable you have the perfect seperation point.

1 person likes this.
  11. CKLclive

CKLclive Banned

Car:
    CLK 430
    put some pics up

12. SHAKTER

SHAKTER Active Member

Car:
    W124 320TE, W124 300CE, W124 E36 AMG, W210 E240 V6, G Wagon
    I need to get both of my cars done. That seems like a resonable deal 300CE! May get in touch to discuss. CLK Clive I know I need to call you too!

13. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    The panels you have listed will either be Hadrian Panels (available from any local automotive paint supplier) or some cheap chinese junk.

I would buy the hadrian panels, I have used them on the estate for the rear arches and they are good panels. Your bodyshop will most likely only use the arch lips and any other corroded bits on your car.

For the front wings, if you are on a budget, get some second hand ones... Nick has some I believe. I wouldnt use pattern front wings as they never fit right, unlike rear arches which have to be welded to suit anyway.

14. jonnyboy

jonnyboy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
    i think i have a couple of wings too

Tags: