w124 bonnet upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ry4n19

Car
SL500
I've a got 1991 w124 coupe and want to upgrade the bonnet so it looks like it has had the facelift with separate grill and star. Could anyone tell me what modifications are involved, do I just need the bonnet, grill, and star and simply change them over or do I have to change the lights etc?

Thanks very much, any information appreciated.
:bannana:

Ry4n19 said:
I've a got 1991 w124 coupe and want to upgrade the bonnet so it looks like it has had the facelift with separate grill and star. Could anyone tell me what modifications are involved, do I just need the bonnet, grill, and star and simply change them over or do I have to change the lights etc?

You have the same car as me, so I would be interested to learn this for myself :)

However, the more I think about it - the more I like the idea of changing the massive pre-facelift grille to an S600 style but still in its original chrome surrounding. Then I plan on respraying my car monotone black at some stage this year, and when I do I will probably paint the grille black as well, and if I acquire new alloys along the way - I will do those too :)

Have you also considered the boot filler panel? When the 124 saloon was facelifted, the coupe boot was virtually forgotten about. You can buy, however, a filler panel which can be sprayed to match and makes the boot look better.

As far as I know, facelifting the front requires you to replace the front wings also, as well as the headlights. HOWEVER...I could be wrong (and often am :p)

Please also post some pictures of your car in the Members Gallery - always interested in 124's and especially the coupes.

--
Antony

I am not too sure about this either but very interested in finding out what is required for sure as its next on my 'to-do' list after my suspension upgrade.

I thought it was bonnet, grill, lights (not necessarily required but advised because fogs will be partially obscured) and the panel just under the lights where the wash wipes go.

I'm sure Ricky will have the definitive answer as I suspect that MB breakers are always short on the necessary bits..or at least have a premium on them.

Ricky, where are you when we need you? ;)

the hinges are the same part number...
as is the latch
as is the seal for the headlight (so the lights must be the same shape...)

so it should be a direct swap...YMMV...

Thanks for the clarification :)

Sp!ke: What are you planning to do with your suspension? The reason I ask is I think my front springs are past their best, and foresee some work in the pipeline. Had my rear springs replaced last June when I bought the car and there is a noticeable difference between the two.

--
Antony

Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein shocks all round is my intention unless ofcourse I can be talked into doing something better.

I will also be getting my wheels reurbished at the same time and I'm thinking BLING BLING on this as I am seriously toying with the idea of chroming my alloys :cool:

Drool...

Yeah, I am trying to imagine what a set of AMG wheels will look like on mine powdercoated black to match the respray which I intend to get :p Chrome wheels do look nice on 124s admittedly, for example:

http://www.mbcoupes.com/w124/memberscars/N/stevenervig/stevenervig.htm

not the style of wheel I would opt to have on my car, but it suits the car.

--
Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom