W124 boot not locking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tone capone

Car
1989 w124 300E 24 V. 1990 230e.
Hi All

I have a 1989 300e 24 with no remote central locking. All 4 doors close with the key in the driver's door but the boot remains unlocked?
Any ideas gratefully received.
Rory

Can you lock it with the key, if not you need a new lock unit. On the other hand if you can lock it then the actuator is duff (just to the left of the lock). It is possible there is a leak in the air line to it from the pump or the pump output to the boot has failed. Easy way to start faulting is get someone to operate the door locking while you have a listen in the boot near the lock. Can you hear an air leak or the lock trying to work? If nothing there then have a listen under the back seat squab, although the noise of the pump might cover any other sounds. It's a start.

Can you lock it with the key, if not you need a new lock unit. On the other hand if you can lock it then the actuator is duff (just to the left of the lock). It is possible there is a leak in the air line to it from the pump or the pump output to the boot has failed. Easy way to start faulting is get someone to operate the door locking while you have a listen in the boot near the lock. Can you hear an air leak or the lock trying to work? If nothing there then have a listen under the back seat squab, although the noise of the pump might cover any other sounds. It's a start.
Thanks for that. I'll try tomorrow.

Give the lock a good spray of penetrating oil or WD40 i think it might be a little rust in there .It wont be leaking or other parts of the system like fuel door . would be playing up. With the W124 you need a vacuum tester like this one .Cheap on Ebay £8 all in .Then you could check all the system .

Attachments

• tre.jpg
    tre.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom