W124 brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmer

Car
OM606 W124 Saloon.
Whatever you do make sure that your wishbones allow you to put bigger brakes

Seen these on ebay:

Mercedes w124 500e w201 2.5 16v R129 500sl front brakes (oe calipers+discs+pads) | eBay

I was planning for one of these kits:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/subcat/be57-1/d2-big-brake-kits.html

Thoughts? Obviousely stock brakes on mine at current. My mondeo brakes are better! They feel stiff and fade extremely quick.

Would the D2 kits be 700 odd quid better than the retrofit?

The calipers on the ebay listing are steel calipers, pretty heavy combo with those discs.
the D2 kit will be lighter, calipers are aluminium, discs are 1 piece so they wont be on a weight watchers diet.

if you are investing in an upgrade braking system, you should maybe consider 2 piece discs and maybe 6 pot aluminium calipers, minimize wheel load.

pay these guys a visit,maybe they can offer you a deal

Road Calipers

mazza

I've seen too many issues with D2 kit to trust it, and brakes are not an area you want to skimp on.

The ebay offering looks to be quite a lot of money for used discs and pads. The 300mm discs are not expensive, and SL calipers are plentiful. The fact that they're willing to knock off nearly 50% for an under the table deal might set alarm bells ringing.

I presume you've had a look at this link?: http://www.w124performance.com/images/W124_brakes/124_brakes.pdf

Whatever you do make sure that your wishbones allow you to put bigger brakes

Im aware my 89 needs modification. I believe if you fit the later version it gives more clearance? Upto 334mm iirc

The calipers on the ebay listing are steel calipers, pretty heavy combo with those discs.
the D2 kit will be lighter, calipers are aluminium, discs are 1 piece so they wont be on a weight watchers diet.

if you are investing in an upgrade braking system, you should maybe consider 2 piece discs and maybe 6 pot aluminium calipers, minimize wheel load.

pay these guys a visit,maybe they can offer you a deal

Road Calipers

mazza

I found that on the D2 website they also do a kc sport kit, 356 x 32, 8 pots, and 2 piece discs. For 1k?!

I've seen too many issues with D2 kit to trust it, and brakes are not an area you want to skimp on.

The ebay offering looks to be quite a lot of money for used discs and pads. The 300mm discs are not expensive, and SL calipers are plentiful. The fact that they're willing to knock off nearly 50% for an under the table deal might set alarm bells ringing.

I presume you've had a look at this link?: http://www.w124performance.com/images/W124_brakes/124_brakes.pdf

Ive done some googling and only got positive reviews so far?

Seen these on ebay:

Mercedes w124 500e w201 2.5 16v R129 500sl front brakes (oe calipers+discs+pads) | eBay

I was planning for one of these kits:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/subcat/be57-1/d2-big-brake-kits.html

Thoughts? Obviousely stock brakes on mine at current. My mondeo brakes are better! They feel stiff and fade extremely quick.

Would the D2 kits be 700 odd quid better than the retrofit?

Those calipers in the ebay link are early 500E / r129 calipers and not recommended as an upgrade. They are known for vibration issues etc.
The next better option would be 600SL front calipers or late E500 which are 320mm diameter & a much better performing system with none of the vibration problems from the early slightly smaller brakes. My 1992 500E has the 600SL brake upgrade and Hel stainless brake lines. It’s a very good setup.

RE- the wishbones. There are early types (With replaceable balljoints) & later types. The 500E & 600SL calipers actually use standard early wishbones. Although all M104 cars do have the later non replaceable balljoint wishbones.

I was also considering the D2 brake upgrade (or similar) down the line myself – curious what the issues are? Never heard that before (But glad I have now!) Maybe I would be better getting new 600SL TAR-OX discs & good performance pads. Although as I say the 600SL brakes even in stock form are very capable especially with the Stainless Lines added too.

I've seen 2 sets catch fire under moderate use - possibly a one (two) off but there was no explanation offered by D2 and very little customer service forthcoming meaning they ended up in the bin. The suspension parts weren't fantastic either, very prone to seizing.

Last edited:
I can sell you these E36 Ate brakes if you like but I think with the power you got you need better

IMG_0355_zps1ecsouwb.jpg

RE- the wishbones. There are early types (With replaceable balljoints) & later types. The 500E & 600SL calipers actually use standard early wishbones. Although all M104 cars do have the later non replaceable balljoint wishbones.

I'm not sure on the veracity of that. There's extensively documented experience that shows the early arms with the replaceable joints have minimal clearance with the 320mm discs, and the EPC seems to back that up with different part numbers for disc and arm depending on the code.

My 129 has the 320mm brakes as standard, the non-replaceable arms were factory fit.

Last edited:
Those calipers in the ebay link are early 500E / r129 calipers and not recommended as an upgrade. They are known for vibration issues etc.

I thought the issues that some owners had with the calipers was to do with the Brembo aluminium calipers fitted to the 500e and 190e Evo2 and possibly some R129's. problems with noise and how aggressive the calipers were.

mazza

I'm not sure on the veracity of that. There's extensively documented experience that shows the early arms with the replaceable joints have minimal clearance with the 320mm discs, and the EPC seems to back that up with different part numbers for disc and arm depending on the code.

My 129 has the 320mm brakes as standard, the non-replaceable arms were factory fit.

I am aware of the control arm differences. Indeed when I fitted 4 pots from a m104 w124 to my E36 (converted w124 200) I had the clearance issue.

However my 500E has the original early front LCA's with no problems running the 600SL brakes up front. And I know of another guy on 500E board also running 600Sl calipers on a 500E with early LCA's.

But yes, the OP should consider having to replace the LCA's with later Genuine Mercedes items only- if they find it not required when using 600SL brakes then that will be a bonus. They only way to know is to test for them on. The clearances vary tiny amounts car to car. But go forward expecting to have to replace the LCA's.

Im aware my 89 needs modification. I believe if you fit the later version it gives more clearance? Upto 334mm iirc

I found that on the D2 website they also do a kc sport kit, 356 x 32, 8 pots, and 2 piece discs. For 1k?!

Ive done some googling and only got positive reviews so far?

shop around, check MOVIT brakes, they do Mercedes brake kits also and its a good product.

However my 500E has the original early front LCA's with no problems running the 600SL brakes up front. And I know of another guy on 500E board also running 600Sl calipers on a 500E with early LCA's.

You misunderstand my point, it is certainly possible, albeit the disc clearance is very tight and the concensus is that it's not advisable as there is a risk of contact. However, it was never like that from the factory, which is what this line

The 500E & 600SL calipers actually use standard early wishbones

appeared to be stating.

Last edited:
I can sell you these E36 Ate brakes if you like but I think with the power you got you need better

IMG_0355_zps1ecsouwb.jpg

Those look like w210 E36 calipers- if so they will not work on a w124 due to the smaller directional pistons. I have a C36 AMG pair of front calipers but although they bolt up to a w124 I would not like to have the directional pattern the wrong way around so won't use them.

Although all M104 cars do have the later non replaceable balljoint wishbones.

My experience seems to contradict that. I've replaced dozens of balljoints on E280s

It's the 3.2-litre cars that have fixed balljoints and, I believe, 300-24 models

Nick Froome

My experience seems to contradict that. I've replaced dozens of balljoints on E280s

It's the 3.2-litre cars that have fixed balljoints and, I believe, 300-24 models

Nick Froome

300-24 models do have the non replaceable balljoint LCA's I have a 1990 one myself.

Forgive me for my oversight folks. Allow me to clarify - all m104 equipped w124's with 4 pot brakes. I can't imagine the OP wants E280 brakes all the same. Aren't they single piston?

I think 600SL brakes are the way to go with performance discs & pads. They are hard to come by though sometimes.

The 320mm setup also appears on 500s with certain build codes/options. That should open up the options a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom