w124 broken springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris500

Car
mercedes
I have a 1992 w124 300td which has recently had 2 broken springs near side front. The first time the spring remained in position and was found at mot, the second time the broken spring came out altogether when the car was parked.

Both springs came from a Mercedes dealer and were professionally fitted.

Any comments would be appreciated, and I wonder if the springs currently available are not up to the high standards of the originals.. ?

Sadly this experience is putting in doubt ownership of what was a very reliable and enjoyable car.

Do you still have the invoice, on the back in the fine print is the first place to check...

Were they new-ish...

The spring which came out altogether was about 2 years old and 6000 miles approx.. I still have the invoice.

Dates times places as best you can and compare to the times [and things] on the back of the invoice...

It's not a matter of a warranty claim because the spring only cost about £90 and is over 12 months old.

I am more concerned about this happening again when on the move and an accident resulting. Do you think the w124 has a design fault which allows a broken spring to just drop out of the car? Are Mercedes springs of poor quality and is a better quality product available elsewhere?

Modern car springs are an inferior product because of the cost reducing way they are manufactured. Lots of discussion on this on the 'net. On older cars there is always the phenonmenon of "one size fits all" where a previous wide range of springs once available are replaced by just a couple= normal+ Heavy duty. That 300D engine is heavy old lump perhaps you need a couple of heavy duty springs on the front. Both H and R and Eibach aftermarket suppliers have a reputation for making higher quality springs maybe they are worth a try??

Here's a video of the numerous steps required to manufacture a spring---- There's a question mark as to whether all these "post cold winding " steps are specified by the big car manufacturers nowadays.
[YOUTUBE]6ZMuMvpgKFs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I think springs that only last two years are neither fit for purpose nor of merchantable quality.

There is no doubt that springs are now very poor quality. The springs on my 45 year old coupe are absolutely fine.

That was my angle Charles, what they are selling you is not up to scratch and you may well be entitled to recompense. Two years old with six thousand miles and I'd be off to see the man at MB, and then consumer affairs if no joy with MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom