W124 Bumper inserts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
Does anybody know if the bumper inserts are interchangeable between pre and post facelift cars?

As far as I can see, the only difference is the pre facelift being the black vinyl typre and post facelift being colour coded?

I was wondering if there is any difference in the shape or the position of the clips to fix them to the bumper?

I'm considering adding colour coded inserts to replace the knocked about black ones on my car, and feared compatability issues.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
James.

Pretty sure they are interchangable yes. i think there may be a difference between facelift and non facelift 124 estates though at the rear...

The rear one on facelift saloon and coupe is different

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I have an estate, and it is the rear bumper insert I'm curious about.

I found a few listings on ebay:

MERCEDES 200 / 300 W124 84>89 REAR BUMPER MOULDING PRMD | eBay UK

MERCEDES 200 /300 W124 93 > 95 REAR BUMPER MOULDING | eBay UK

as the first one is for a 89-93 car, but is primed ready for paint and not the usual black vinyl, I thought it may work, especially as it is 10 gbp as opposed to the 93-95 verison which is 75 gbp for what looks to be extacly the same thing. For the sake of 20 gbp delivered, I'll probably just order it anyway and see how it looks.

Thanks for the replies so far.

hi

if you do order the 20 quid one please let me know whether its good enough for a facelift car. i need an insert too and have been told my the seller that the £70 one is the one to go for, but like you they appear to be the same

hi

i did a bit more research into this today.

the genuine MB part numbers for all up to the very last (primed and coloured ones from the facelift cars) are:

A124 885 07 21 - these are for all estates up to 1993, presumably come in black?

the primed one, ready for painting as per the facelift colour is: A124 885 15 21.

I may order up the cheaper part too. if the more expensive one is the only option, then its worth the extra £20 or so to buy a genuine MB part IMHO.

@ Silver saloon, I'll be ordering the cheaper rear insert this week, but will only be able to do a visual check as to whether it fits as I won't have time to take the rear bumper off and check properly.

My car is a 1993 facelift car, but has the black inserts from the pre face lift cars, I assume these put on by the previous owner as they were cheaper. On that basis alone, it would seem that the insert would fit.

I'll check back as soon as the part arrives and let you know.

On another note, I see your E300D is malachite green with the lower cladding painted to match? any chance you could post some more pics of the car? mine is the same colour, but with the lighter green 10% matt cladding, and I'm considering having a monotone paint job done and would love to see how the car will look if I go ahead with it.

Thanks,
James.

I think the insert travels further round the bumper at the rear on the facelift cars so the pre and post facelift inserts are *not* interchangeable.

I think the insert travels further round the bumper at the rear on the facelift cars so the pre and post facelift inserts are *not* interchangeable.

They never changed the rear bumper on facelift estate`s and 500`s

Just checked google images and you're right, the estate inserts remain the same buut the saloon and coupe ones are different post and pre facelift.

How do you remove and refit the inserts? I'll need to be doing this soon.
Does the whiole bumper need to come off to get them on?

Cheers

Yes whole bumper off first. Then four screws to undo - two on each side - then the rest is held in place with clips. Just be careful and patient with them - work them all a bit and gradually get them out. Do it on a warm day or heat them with a hair drier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom