w124 cabrio dilema...

Should i colour code the black bumper strips?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Either / Or, both are nice!

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Im considering getting the front and rear bumper strips colour coded to the bumper green colour from the current black mount..

whats ur thoughts on it? Should i keep it as is, or get them painted??

Currently
5.jpg

32.jpg

Proposed
Mercedes_Benz_E220_Cabriolet_a919d204df10e5715646e3763f2e4dda.jpg

Mercedes_Benz_E220_Cabriolet_50353f0a0941512c0864c2777153dcc4.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO you should keep it as it is if you believe its worth £35k, IF some loon does eventually stump up the cash then they will expect an un molested version.

Or instead get it sprayed a decent colour:

fd01f7eed634a4e617a18e955ebcb513.jpg

I think with a car like yours, originality scores more points! If you're not concerned about that though, colour coded would look good...

Your 3rd and 4th pictures also include changes to the clear indicators/ repeaters?? Personally I like the "new look" but you might have to replace the bumper inserts since the present material may not take a suitable paint. As has been stated this will detract from the cars originality. However a subtle mod like this, which is really an upgrade found in the later models may not be too bad. The one thing not to change is the bonnet/grill/lights which would a mod too far.

it would look better with the whole lower sections painted body colour imho.
Not worth just spraying the black inserts - the pic of the other one still does not look good with the two tone paint.
Better to sell it as is - put it on ebay 99p start no reserve see what happens.

Yes, colour-coding looks better, but originality is everything if you ever expect to realise top dollar.

As grober has correctly stated, your pre-facelift bumper material is grained and would not readily take a coat of paint. It's all the better for the fact it can actually function as a bumper and take minor knocks without blemish.

The post-facelift ones, like mine - and remember the rear bumpers are entirely different - are of a smooth unyielding material. As bumpers, they are completely hopeless.

Off topic, but Del, you have a terrific collection of cars! Hadn't noticed your car links before! Love the Saabs (of course! :) I have an '87 900i 5 door that I'm hoping one day to fully restore. It only has 90,000 mls and is virtually rust free!) :)

My "project" Saab...

DSC08113.JPG

DSC08114.JPG

Last edited:
id stick with the heritage bumper otherwise it may be difficult to get that 35K ;)

i'd also say keep it original. you'd need to replace the bump strips and the front bumper aswell to do it properly.

i'd just keep it as is - with the other pre-facelift lights, grille etc i think the black bump strips (especially if in mint condition, nice and black) look very nice.

I think you'd have a problem colour matching them anyway.

The later colour coded bumper strips are made of a different material in order to accept paint. They are also a different shape so you couldn't fit them on your car. You can see in the picture you posted that the bumper strips are different. The entire front and rear bumpers have been replaced on that car.

If you take yours off for painting you'll see that they are made of a material that is like a very thin and flexible rubbery plastic that frankly will never provide a good key for painting and the paint will soon flake and look rubbish regardless what sot of primer is used.

Besides, any paint on your car will harm its potential value.

Personally I would sell it, and buy a 1996 car and pocket the £20 grand extra you will get ;)

+ 1 in the "leave it alone" category...whilst your car is not worth £35K yet it might be if you leave it unmolested and look after it for another 15 or so years.

Sell it and buy a newer one if you like the look. But I thought you were after another car anyway?

Will

Sell it and buy a newer one if you like the look. But I thought you were after another car anyway?

Will

credit crunch lol

i want a w140, but not happening at mo...

another w124 - yes please... just looking!

I can't find the " Don't care, someone please buy this car to avoid further product placement " button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom