w124 cabrio rear arms replaced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Celicasaur

Car
W212 E63 AMG PP
So earlier in the week I replaced my rear shocks for Bilstein B8's, as per a recommendation from some nice chaps on this forum (my car rode like Satan - maxing out on the suspension travel, etc). It made a nice difference, but still didn't rock my world.

However, knowing that I was doing the struts, I figured that I might as well replace the arms/wishbones on the rear end. Upon looking at them this week while fitting the struts, I thought hell no...the nuts/bolts were all seized and in awkward locations, so i decided that it's not a job to tackle alone on the driveway and I had my local garage undertake the work.

I think the total elapsed time was between 7-8 hours. Most of which was chopping the old arms/nuts off to make way for the new ones.

When I went to pick up the car, I noticed that it was sitting slightly higher at the rear (I'm guessing the old suspension arms/bushes had sagged just a tad ;) ). Driving out of the workshop, oh wow i could feel the difference immediately. The rear end feels beautifully taught and the chassis rotates around corners so nicely now. Absorption of bumps is now even better than when I had only replaced the struts. It's gliding over the cracks in the road and feeling like a newer car with classic styling - thumbs up from me :thumb:

I'm so impressed with the difference in how the car feels now that I will start placing orders and collating parts for the front-end refresh next month. If I can attain a similar improvement in the front, then the overall feel of the car will be heavenly. I might even contemplate fitting the factory wheels for extra squishyness :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom