W124 Cabrio rear headrest stuck Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pwatts7

Car
W124 cabriolet
Hi I am a newbie to this forum, just discovered it while looking for any info on my W124 cabriolet rear head rest problem.
They are stuck in the down position, as opposed to the up (activated) position. And, as they form the roll bar in the event of an accident, I am keen to get it sorted out ASAP.
The roof opens as it should, and there is power at the switch, I can hear something trying to work but nothing moves !
They just stopped working suddenly last week,
I have looked around for fuses etc, but does any one know if there is a hidden one anywhere ?
Or any other advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Paul

Check in your owners manual but IIRC if you hold the switch in the down position for at least 30 seconds it will go through a reset cycle....

The roof controller and roll bar controller speak to each other so a problem with one may influence the other. There are also limit switches on the rear suspension arms to sense a roll over and sometimes they need reset. However from what you have said it sounds as something mechanical has jammed.
91 Seats and Restraints and scroll down

Maybe also check the fluid level in the pump tank on the RH side of the boot - behind the cover on the inside of the RH side fender.

Failing this you can get the fault codes read that may well diagnose the fault. See the links in post #3.

Check the fuse near your break servo. Its in a plastic holder with cover that's attached and very easy to access.

P.s. Its not in the main fusebox

A124 Headrests jammed down

Thanks for the replays and apologies for taking so long to add a follow up post
Unfortunately I had an accident at work which led to major spinal surgery and a long time in physio doing rehab!
Still enough of that As over the last few weeks I have been able to get the cover off the old girl and start to get her all sorted for the summer
I have checked the hydraulic fluid and tried the reset as suggested, there is a definite attempt for the head rest to move up when using the button and yes it does sound like something mechanical is stopping it
Does anyone have a diagram of the mechanism that they could post ?
I have no idea what to expect in there !
P.s Mercedes fault code reader did not show up anything
Many Thanks
Paul

does the roof work if it does open roof then try back rests as it meant to be up when driven with roof down to protect back passengers.

if it does come up do not push all the way up incase they get stuck then try up and fully down a few times.

check fuses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom