W124 Cabrio rear Shock advise!!

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by ash_2009, Jun 24, 2017.

1. ash_2009

ash_2009 Active Member

Car:
    C36 AMG, Past W124 E220 Convertible
    Dear All,

Just some advise/direction please :dk:

I have been advised that my Rear shocks are leaking and would need replacement. I want to try and do this job myself as I have read up and its not a very difficult DIY!!.

Car is W124, 1994, E220 convertible, Sports chassis and NON self leveling.

I have called Mercedes and they have quoted me...hang on...yes.... £449 Plus VAT for both rear shocks!!!!!:doh::doh::doh: I dont believe
    this and I shall pop in personally to confirm. In the meantime if this is correct then I am going to have a look elsewhere which is where all the confusion is.

1) Anyone know if the original ones where Sachs or Bilsten?

2) If Sachs then I have Sachs Part number 106879. If Bilstein then I think I am right to say B4 shocks. I want to keep standard shocks NO lowering or any thing like that.

4) I have several MB part numbers, as old ones have "new" codes. A124320331 (old code). A 1243262800 (new code). A1243202031 (old). A 1243262700 (new). Which is which??:crazy::crazy:

Any help would be appreciated.

Ash

2. RichardF

RichardF Active Member

Car:
    Sl 320
    I fitted Sachs to my SL, seem okay. I just got the part no and shopped around online to find the cheapest supplier.

1 person likes this.
  3. ss201

ss201 Active Member

Car:
    190E 2.6 Sportline, W203 320 CDi SE Estate
    Original M-B shocks will be Sachs or Boge, both products manufactured by ZF.

Go to

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_gb/sachs/catalogs_sachs/webcat_search_sx/webcat.html

Follow the instructions to locate the correct part number - then shop around for a pair of OE shocks that match. You will find them a lot cheaper than the price the dealership is asking.

Also worth contacting these people for Bilstein B4 shocks - they seem to offer very good prices on Bilsteins - haven't used them myself.

High Performance Car Parts, Koni Suspension Kits, K And N Filters, Alloy Wheels - larkspeed.com

1 person likes this.
  4. ray_hennig

ray_hennig Active Member

Car:
    MB 300CE-24 Sportline
    That's the one being fitted to my coupe. Sportline spec. About £70 each, I recall.

RayH

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    ash_2009

ash_2009 Active Member

Car:
    C36 AMG, Past W124 E220 Convertible
    Where did you buy them from Ray?

6. ray_hennig

ray_hennig Active Member

Car: