W124 Cabrio ride after lowering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Celicasaur

Car
W212 E63 AMG PP
So I've got W124 H&R coupe lowering springs fitted on my A124 cabrio (don't start...) and while the ride height is where I want it to be, the ride is reeeeeally bad. Now I understand this is due to lack of travel in the suspension.

My question is, if any of you have experienced this, what was your remedy?

Or...if there's a shock/damper that I can buy which is intended for a car that has been lowered (by around 50mm over stock) then I would love to know which one, so I can buy it :)

Many thanks in advance.

For a 50mm lowering job the only shocks that will work are Bilstein B8.

Ahhh, thanks guys - that's exactly what I was looking for.

I've now placed an order online for them :)

Revisiting this thread with a closing update.

Firstly, thanks guys for the recommendation to get the Bilstein B8 shocks.

I mean....just looking at them compared to the normal B4 shocks that I had in there previously was enough to tell me that these would make a lovely difference to the car:

bistein_zpsrwowuvhm.jpg

My cabrio is pretty low, but it's the only way that i'd enjoy owning the car (i tend to go for performance cars). For me, a W124 is an aesthetic thing to own...the drive doesn't do much for me if I'm honest, but I love how the car looks. Well....this used to be the case. After swapping out for the B8's, I must say I almost like the car to some degree now. It feels like more of a 'normal' car that just happens to be lowered a little.

It's not a flying sofa, I don't want to give off that impression. But compared to bottoming out the struts and being thrown off my seat upon speed hump transitions, the feel of the car has been much improved.

Handling - yes no doubt, it's miles and miles better than what it used to be. No it's not good enough to outrun anything half-decent on a windy country road (it's a heavy cabrio afterall), but compared to how it used to be... :thumb: you can definitely see where your money went :)

This is all very subjective and to grasp what my vague descriptions actually mean, you really need to have sat in my car before. I think the best way to describe the difference is that it went from feeling like a slammed kids stancey car with zero suspension, to feeling like a 5 year old modern-day coupe.

A nice shiny pic of the car :eek:

w124_zpsjvkpuy8i.jpg

Next job - wishbones and possibly subframe & diff mounts.

Suspension leaves a lot to be desired on these, although the Sportlines were deemed to be too hard for most, which is why they didn't sell many.

I like the look of yours very much, but it wouldn't suit a car without the AMGs, such as mine. I would like to firm it up a bit though.

Nice looking car! Deserves a new hood... :):)

Suspension leaves a lot to be desired on these, although the Sportlines were deemed to be too hard for most, which is why they didn't sell many.

I like the look of yours very much, but it wouldn't suit a car without the AMGs, such as mine. I would like to firm it up a bit though.

Thank you sir. Tell me more about your car :)

I've always loved the look of the gen 1 AMG kit on a cabrio. I'm almost tempted to do it....almost....but I need to enjoy the car more and actually 'like it' before i spend big on a luxury like that.

Nice looking car! Deserves a new hood... :):)

Thanks buddy and oh gosh, doesn't it just! The hood lets it down so much and believe you-me, i am desperate to have a new one. I was on the phone to carhoodwarehouse.com and begged the guy to fit me a new roof and headliner...but he refused and said he'll only do it once I get my roof working :doh:

(yes, my roof only works manually for the moment)

Is there anything on ball point position grober...and toe out on turns being subject to ride height?

Where are we at with the hood...? You've had the codes read out of the foot well on the front passengers side...?

Is there anything on ball point position grober...and toe out on turns being subject to ride height?
Can't answer your question sorry except to say that altering any suspension geometry will require a re-alignment. The thing I associate with W124 suspension is how the high castor angle results in positive camber on the inner front wheel at high steering lock.

Thanks Grober, that's interesting to know. I'll keep a look out for the type of LCA that I end up buying and post my findings.

WDB124066 - I "simply" need a replacement roof module. Everything else on the system is fine (I even had the main rams refurbished last year from Top Hydraulics). Trying to build a legend here :)

The other thing to do, if you haven't already, is to replace all the worn rubber parts in the suspension. That means

* antiroll bar (ARB) bushes
* ARB droplinks
* front shock top mounts
* leading rear subframe bushes
* etc

Nick Froome

Absolutely Nick ^

Next month I'd like to do the front end and then maaaaayybe in August, if time allows, i'll do the rear 'front' subframe bushes, diff bushes and ARB bushes etc.

I'd like this to be a pristine example at some point in my ownership. Sweet Lord though, the list of jobs just keeps growing.

Like the Chinese calendar, each year is different. When the Chinese have the Year of the Dog, for the W124 it might be the Year of the Subframe Bush

It seems 2017 is the Year of the Overpriced Japanese Import That Is Costing the Owner Thousands To Fix

Nick Froome

Does the trans select reverse reasonably quickly...?

Thanks Grober, that's interesting to know. I'll keep a look out for the type of LCA that I end up buying and post my findings.

WDB124066 - I "simply" need a replacement roof module. Everything else on the system is fine (I even had the main rams refurbished last year from Top Hydraulics). Trying to build a legend here :)

Can you borrow one to check you need one first...? Or have you done this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom