W124 - Cabriolet replacement for Company Car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich2508

Car
Lexus CT
Just joined the forum as I am considering buying a W124 Cabriolet to replace my company car when it is due for renewal next year, and want to get plenty of research done.

I work from home the majority of the time with business trips about three times a month, usually a 80- 200 mile round trip. My current Lexus Ct I love for the way it just wafts along, but it doesn't seem worth the £400 or so each month it effectively costs me for doing 4,000 miles a year.

I have been considering many alternatives around the £10k level CL's, CLS, JAGUAR S type 4.2 but all seemed plagued with expensive issues if they go wrong mechanically or electric wise and I keep getting back to the relative simplicity of the W124 having had a 280 saloon for a short time many years ago.

I know rust can be an issue and I would want one with no visible rust at the moment and would do some work to really get it protected for the future - I still own a 1983 Golf GTI that I bought almost new and that is totally rust free, so I can keep something that way if I have a good base to start from.

I need four seats that are useable on occasions for teenage daughters, have a C max MPV as a daily family car, an original LHD Smart car as a run around and the Merc as well as replacing the Lexus would also mean we could sell our Mini Cooper S convertible, which is 11 years old and only done 39k and is the opposite to what I want from the W124 as its so frantic to drive.

So, enough rambling on for now and to my first questions.
1. As the car would have to sit outside what is the durability like of the roof to leaks etc?
2. Condition is my absolute priority as I will spend more time looking at it rather than driving so is a 220 still okay compared to a 320' as there seems to be many more 220's about?
3. Looking at pictures of some, the roof canvas starts to look worn around where the folds are, how much is a roof cover replacement assuming rest of roof is okay roughly?

Thank you.

1]The roof does not leak -unless you open the door in the rain. :( No 124 Cab should be stored outside though.
2] Please do not buy a minter and leave it outside in this day and age [unless you sell it to me as a parts car later.. Better off with a Coupe - they look better too. :)
3] They "foldwear-resist" better than any other cabriolet on the market - no doubt about it. Genuine hoods are expensive as you should also replace the head liner and the intermediate layer. Try The Classics Center in Fellbach or Irvine for hood replacement prices....Roofs are very long lasting so long as you use the correct hydraulic fluid from new. Seals can be got from Top Hydraulics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom