W124 Cabs - Comments on this one please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill_33

Car
A160,(W169) previously 300TE - 300CE, E280TE
W124 Cabs seem to generate lots of discussion.

I would like one...........but am semi retired and "The City" and Mr Broon has releaved of many of the pennies that I had to spend on toys

What do you all think of the following car on Ebay, (dealer sale)
Mercedes-Benz-E320-Convertible-auto-just-70000-mile-FSH_W0QQitemZ120383687061QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK
.........I like the colour, spec and the fact that it has had only one owner

Mercedes-Benz E320 Convertible auto just 70000 mile FSH on eBay, also, Mercedes-Benz, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 16-May-09 10:51:07 BST)

Last edited:
To me when buying a car of this age I would look at condition more than specification.
In that respect the advertisement gives little away, so if it's local I'd get myself down there to give it a thorough inspection.

To me when buying a car of this age I would look at condition more than specification.
In that respect the advertisement gives little away, so if it's local I'd get myself down there to give it a thorough inspection.

I agree and if you are spending that kind of money you will obviously inspect the vehicle carefully, but one owner for 14 years says something

Anyway it is a little too expensive for me.......but I am interested in what everyone thinks of the lower priced W124 Cabs

Looks like a nice car :cool:

I think these 124 cabriolet briefly dived in price late last year, but they certainly seem to be back up there again now.

For a 1-owner car with sensible mileage (70k on a '94 car), it seems like fairly good value from a dealer.

Will

Condition is all and I reckon that £13k, less any haggling is just about as low as you could go for, hopefully, a relatively sound example. As well as the usual issues of loom, gasket and rusty wings, the hood and mechanism would have to be perfect order as that area could otherwise be a moneypit.

Do you really think you really want one anyway? I've long harboured a desire for one, but now I've come to my senses!

Are you sure you'll look good driving one with the hood down?

Compared with the coupe it really is marginal as a true four seater and has a rotten boot.

It's over 200kg heavier than a coupe therefore has poorer performance and greater consumption.

It's potentially costlier to insure and maintain.

A coupe with the windows down and sunroof open will give 95% of the experience and is quieter and more secure.

Otherwise, bash on!:D

Condition is all and I reckon that £13k, less any haggling is just about as low as you could go for, hopefully, a relatively sound example. As well as the usual issues of loom, gasket and rusty wings, the hood and mechanism would have to be perfect order as that area could otherwise be a moneypit.

Do you really think you really want one anyway? I've long harboured a desire for one, but now I've come to my senses!

Compared with the coupe it really is marginal as a true four seater and has a rotten boot.

It's over 200kg heavier than a coupe therefore has poorer performance and greater consumption.

A coupe with the windows down and sunroof open will give 95% of the experience and is quieter and more secure.

I probably agree with you that the Coupe is preferable..........certainly from a much better value for money perspective.

I just thought that I would start the thread because of the recent £30K and £40K cabs threads

I would never dream of spending even £10k on a Cab............at the end of the day the Estates and Coupe are much better value.

But I would still like a summer in a W124 Cab

I probably agree with you that the Coupe is preferable..........certainly from a much better value for money perspective.

I just thought that I would start the thread because of the recent £30K and £40K cabs threads

I would never dream of spending even £10k on a Cab............at the end of the day the Estates and Coupe are much better value.

But I would still like a summer in a W124 Cab

have you looked at this on ebay, could be a steal
Item number:290315427862
I love driving my coupe with windows down and SR back, and u have the option to close shop at speed if it gets too cold or you want to put your footdown, a far slower process with a cab.
just a thought.

I had seen this car some 6 months ago for sale... the wheels are not original and i find the black with mushroom age faster than other colours..

just my opinion though..

there are alot more decent w124s in this price range on ebay/auto trader/piston heads etc...

i had considered another one with a high mileage for daily runaround.. but now have chosen against it.... for now..

as for coupes.. lovely cars, but the charisma of the cabrio is uncomparable to any other...

have you looked at this on ebay, could be a steal
Item number:290315427862
I love driving my coupe with windows down and SR back, and u have the option to close shop at speed if it gets too cold or you want to put your footdown, a far slower process with a cab.
just a thought.

150,000 miles and £8,100 with Reserve still not met!

Also on Piston Heads @£10K

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1017008.htm

Last edited:

Sorry beg to differ. I have had coupes and a cabriolet. The cab feels much much more special than the coupe. The coupe is more practical but for a summer car the cab beats it hands down.

Sorry beg to differ. I have had coupes and a cabriolet. The cab feels much much more special than the coupe. The coupe is more practical but for a summer car the cab beats it hands down.

Brilliantly put.. bravoo lol

I have the up most respect for any W124, but the cabrio give such sense of occassion..

... The cab feels much much more special than the coupe. The coupe is more practical but for a summer car the cab beats it hands down.

Wouldn't dispute that for a minute, Smiley!

Trouble is, from my perspective, doing less than £5k per year, I can't justify a "summer" car. Even if I could, it would be even harder to justify a four-seater (lovely though they are). I mean - realistically - how often will the opportunity and weather present itself that you and three others will tear off for a spin in the country.

Now, the Pagoda (for the same money at Ironside as his cab) is a different matter...

Finally, you are what you drive, and I worry about what I'd look like. :D

(I'm not paranoid - I know they're out to get me :D:D:D)

W124 Cabs seem to generate lots of discussion.

I would like one...........but am semi retired and "The City" and Mr Broon has releaved of many of the pennies that I had to spend on toys

What do you all think of the following car on Ebay, (dealer sale)
Mercedes-Benz-E320-Convertible-auto-just-70000-mile-FSH_W0QQitemZ120383687061QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK
.........I like the colour, spec and the fact that it has had only one owner

Mercedes-Benz E320 Convertible auto just 70000 mile FSH on eBay, also, Mercedes-Benz, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 16-May-09 10:51:07 BST)

Ive seen that actual car in their showroom in Northfleet, it looked quite nice, they have had it a while, a bit like alot of their cars they are not what I would call keenly priced. I really fancy a W210 240 they have, but at £6995 its way way too much.

Anyway, the car in question wasnt concourse but very presentable indeed(despite a fair bit oif dust on it!) and well worth a look. I imagine they have a certain amount of elbow room on this, but who knows, as when I called to asked what sort of price they could do the W210 for (79k miles no command, no sunroof) they were only willing to talk about a few hundred off. Given its been advertised in Autotrader, Pistonheads and Ebay since late January, I would have thought they could see its not exactly flying out the door!.

Still the W124 looks nice and is a good colour combination. Worth a viewing. Let me know if I can help.

Still,

Wouldn't dispute that for a minute, Smiley!

Trouble is, from my perspective, doing less than £5k per year, I can't justify a "summer" car. Even if I could, it would be even harder to justify a four-seater (lovely though they are). I mean - realistically - how often will the opportunity and weather present itself that you and three others will tear off for a spin in the country.

Now, the Pagoda (for the same money at Ironside as his cab) is a different matter...

Finally, you are what you drive, and I worry about what I'd look like. :D

(I'm not paranoid - I know they're out to get me :D:D:D)

Youre right - its not often - but for the occasional weekend trip with the kids and maybe one of their friends - they will remember those trips out in dad's merc with the roof down for years and years. Priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom