W124 can't select lower gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

av12ram

Car
'sl500AMG,e320AMG,500secAMG,'91 300seAMG,e280teAMG,560SELAMG,560SECAMG
Hi everybody, I went to see a 1995 e320 coupe today and noticed that the gear would go into drive but wouldn't go across into the lower gears; there is a black object which obstructs the gears to go down. its something i noticed on another car and was wondering what this problem was. I have a picture of another car with the same problem. I don't know much about the 124 series so if anyone can shed any light it would be much appreciated.
Regards
*Reposted in Engine section

Attachments

• 30060680018_large.jpg
    30060680018_large.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 15
This is a 5 speed transmission and for putting the shifter in lowers gear you must push the shifter to the left (towards the black thing) and then move the shifter backwards to second gear or first.
When you push the shifter to the left against the black thing you make the transmission to upshift only to 4 gear or if the car is in 5 gear the transmission downshift to 4 gear you will feel some resistance when you move the shifter and pushing away the black lever.
When you test drive the car pay attention when you put the car in reverse if it take a long time or slipping before reverse engage.

Last edited:
When you testdrive the car check the reverse engagement if it is slow (you need to wait more than 1-2 sec) or the transmission slipping you need a overhaul and that means the transmission need to come of the car.
You can also drive on a highway and have a speed so the transmission is in 5th gear and kickdown and when transmission shift down pay attention so the transmission is not slipping if it does you also need a overhaul of the KS clutch pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom