W124 Carat Duchatelet part

Discussion in 'Classifieds - Wanted' started by mercboiuk, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mercboiuk

mercboiuk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1995 E320 Coupe
    I've now been trying for nearly 3 years to find a tow hook cover to match my Carat Duchatelet front bumper.
    I had one offer from a chap who said I could have a mould made of his, but the boat builders and plastics manufacturers were either too expensive or couldn't help.
    I've tried the major brokers every now and again, and I've ask of MBNZ.org, as well as PistonHeads.
    So now I'm asking the MB Club community - can anyone help me source this item, please?

Thanks in advance for an increasingly desperate Darren! :eek:

Darren

2. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Darren , if you can get a mould, we can sell you everything you will need to make one yourself ...

We have a marina / chandlers / boatyard on the Thames ...

We sell resin , matting , gelcoat , everything you would need ....

Something that small would be easy to get a good DIY finish with ..

H

Failing that , if you can get a mould , we are quite pally with a boatbuilders in Warwickshire , Outhill Boats , they make steering consoles for us , i'm sure they would knock one up in their spare time ... but it's easy honestly ....

3. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    I have just two suggestions:

1. Are you certain that this is not an OEM part? I know the bumper or valance/skirt/spoiler whatever might be aftermarket but sometimes these companies integrate OEM parts into it because it's easier than making your own. Please can we see a pic of the space where it is supposed to go.

2. Have you tried a decent bodyshop? I've seen some bodyshops do all kinds of things, custom fabrication is often something they love to do and I'm sure something as small as a tow-hook cover could be made to finish off the bodywork.

Good luck with your quest!

4. OP
    OP
    mercboiuk

Car:
    1995 E320 Coupe
    The chap offered the part a couple of years ago, and I have since seen the car for sale :(
    I wouldn't trust myself on the DIY front ;)
    If I do manage to get another offer, though, I will certainly let you know :)

Thanks,

Darren

5. OP
    OP
    mercboiuk

Car:
    1995 E320 Coupe
    Hi Shude,

It is definately not an OEM part, I'm afraid. I've asked my mechanic, tried to see if one would fit, and asked if an OEM one can be modified to fit - with no joy.
    The bodyshop I use for my bodywork cannot help, and I've had no joy from others I have asked so far :(
    Here's a photo of the front of the car, where the hole can be seen.
    [​IMG]

I'll try to dig out a clearer photo, too if you'd prefer - just let me know :)

Thanks,

Darren

6. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    KLP 92's family have a very good bodyshop near Staples Corner ...

Why not drop him a PM ?

7. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    Now I've seen it I'm certain that someone creative could sort it out, especially as the grill/fins shape of the airdam just follows through it.

8. Rob77

Rob77 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '90 W201 2.6 Sportline; '96 S124 E300D; '94 Aprilia Pegaso 650
    From the pic, it looks very like the one on my W201 - well, the shape anyway, I wouldn't know about the dimensions.