W124 Catalytic converters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
Dear All
Quick Question
When were catalytic converters introduced for the W124 series?
I thought about 1989 but now I'm not so sure...
Any thoughts appreciated.
Rgds
Les

edit:found the answer on another forum late last night.
Cars made after 1 august 1992 must have cats, earlier cars are optional.
So if the cat goes on an earlier car, one could just take it out! and it should still pass the MOT as emissions regs less strict for these cars. However, the 'poster' said that they had spoken to someone they knew at MB who advised that replacement would be better as car would not run so well without the cat! I'm not sure I believe that bit!

Last edited:
I have a 91' 300TE, last year I had the cat removed when I had the whole exhaust replaced with a SS custom built system which worked out a lot cheaper than a standard mild steel system.

The car runs no worse and probably a lot better than before and when it went through the MOT test the examiner stated that the car would have passed the emissions test anyway. Go on do it :D

Hi i am new to this forum, i hope someone can advise me.

I have a 2001 Y plate E240 (2.6) Avantgarde saloon.

it has done 57,000 miles and i have been told the cat needs replacing. I nearly fell off my chair when i was told it would cost £1,600. The dealer has contacted Merc Uk and they will pay 50%. Obviously i still not happy with this.

Does anyone have a knowledge of this type of failure? and what is the view of Merc paying only half? are they being unfair or should i feel lucky?

Many thanks in anticipation of some advise,

TS

Cats are a wearing part and only have a certain life. In addition there have been loads breaking up so failure has been earlier, that's why MB will make a contribution.

I'ts a cost of modern motoring. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom