W124 CE -Advice (Lowering)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanMorgan

Car
R129 500SL, W124 300CE Twin Turbo, W210 E55 AMG, W211 E320 CDI Sport
Hi all,

New to this forum - However I use Edition38 quite regularly.

Also just a cheeky photo of my golf with the coupe!
14982_10151703770328787_1019062653_n.jpg

Just after a bit of advice with lowering my coupe - Im planning on having AMG monoblocks either 17/18's and want to lower it, getting rid of the arch gap.

Two queries,

1) What is the best offset and width to allow zero rubbing for both 17" and 18"
2) Are the w124 springs the same for the w124 ce?
i.e. Will these fit APEX Lowering Springs Mercedes 200/200D/230E W124 85-96 | eBay

Thanks

Dan

Welcome to the forum.

Mazza or Billy are the best people to answer your question. I'm sure they will be along soon.

Ahhh, thats good - Just seen Billy's thread - How his sits is the look im going for.

For reference, here is the car on eBay - picked it up from ivybridge on Saturday and drove it all the way back to Cardiff

1990 MERCEDES 230CE AUTO BLACK | eBay

hi mate!

Those springs will fit -yes. How low do you want to go? It says 30mm but thats very generic and we 'assume' its lowering 30mm vs stock height.

Key factor is what your actual lowering will be @ your ride height currenty. You may get even less lowereing then you already have, who knows?

Stock height 124's sit quite high, With what looks like 17's on yours at the moment (confirm) it already looks lowered by the previous owner to me?

First things first, get the wheels you want bolt them on and then you'll get a clearer indication of how low you want to go.

18 x 8 ET 31 will fit no problems so will 17 x 7.5 ET35 all around.

Important factor to consider is tyre size selection when lowereing as well.

Last edited:
Hi,

Cheers for the reply

Yeah, the suspension on this car is all over the place, I think that they previous owner has changed one side and not the other. The suspension has corroded and is why I got the car so cheap. The current wheels on there have the wrong offset I believe and stick out too much, and they are horrible - much prefer the monoblocks!

Well, I would prefer to put 18's on it, as I will be able to put them on my golf and with tyre sizes, I would probably get 215/40/18's as im coilovered all the way down on the golf and if I get any wider, it might rub!

Also, would a sport exhaust make much difference do you think? Seen the cks one on youtube and sound good, but its on a 280 and mines a 230 :/

Thanks

Dan

Also,

I think I have text you about the rear lights that you have for sale in the classified section :)

got it mate. Theres a reply in your wanted post. i'm about to hit the sack now but I'll call you tomorrow and we can have a chat. Got work at 7am! grrr.

I'd snap them up if i were you.

They will fit. Not sure about the 235 tyre size though. 225/40 will be better suited.

If you are going any lower than 40mm you'll need a 215/40. Otherwise you'll rub. But be prepared to leave your rim edges un protected! You will also need front and rear arch lips tucked in for sure on a 225/40 being lowered 40mm

Offer him a price on them..

One of my Dads friends have given him some Apex 35mm springs new for £50, which im gonna snap up. Will I have problems with rubbing with 235 you reckon? No point getting them if I will get rubbing!

you wont rub on 35mm - but as mentioned, you need to know what 35mm (or whatever you choose) will compare to what you have currently.

There are also rubber shims that sit on top of the springs, useful for fine tweaking ride height. shims height 1-4 (4 being the thickest)

The 'correct' tyre size for 18x8 is 225/40. 235 just swamps the alloy wholly diminishing the look of the these alloys IMHO. They look ok unbolted but whack them on and you'll see the rubber over power's the alloy.

Yeah I know what you mean, I will try get him down to the £500 mark! Also, how much are the lights posted in your in your classified post? I can pay for them now :)

£40 inc postage.

i'll text you my paypal.

Just about completed the deal on the wheels :)
Also bought two new front wings, 35mm Apex suspension, new rear lights from Billy and going to paint the rear right wing (due to small amount of rust) and paint the grill black.

Will get some photos up on the weekend

Just a bit of advice about the springs. I had Apex on my e-class and the ride was not too great. They often say they lower 35 but it's often much more.

Yeah, I had some apex on my first car which was an 08 polo, ride was terrible, but with the apex on the merc, it can be as worse as my daily driver (08 golf) which is lowered to the bottom setting on coilovers!

One day ill grow out of lowering it - Maybe ^^

^haha never grow out of lowering:D. I've bought a 124 coupe a few weeks ago and want to lower mine too. I'll be keeping an eye on this. I had some apex coilovers on my 200sx...spine crushing ride. :(

^haha never grow out of lowering:D. I've bought a 124 coupe a few weeks ago and want to lower mine too. I'll be keeping an eye on this. I had some apex coilovers on my 200sx...spine crushing ride. :(

yeah true then he saw the light with some HSD'S. :bannana:

Lowered car always catches they eye aswell as speed bumps :doh:

w124 lowered will look nice :rock:

This might have been mentioned already, but it looks like your coupe has already been lowered

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom