w124 CE choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brighton123

Hi all My mate is on the look out for a big engined w124 Coupe I have spotted these two both of which look good, I dont know these later mercs too well All my experience is in w114/w115 and w123. What are these like on fuel, Is the 3.2 a better engine than the 3.0 what are problems to look out for etc? many thanks in advance for your thoughts

300 CE

Go for the E320 its a facelift model with a better spec and engine, the only 300CE worth comparing is the 24V version

The 300 looks like a nice example, and it has the conversion. I'm surprised seeing as he is a Mechanic but hasn't replaced the forward air ducting to the Aircleaner??? Also I gather that it's far away for you, going by your 'Name' The down-side is that it's pricey, myself, I would not even consider a bid till tested, and tested well. Personally I wouldn't go for it myself, but that's me, and that's my opinion, not advise.

The 320, although higher miles, is younger. I prefer the beige interior, as I believe most do. Starting at a better price, plus I gather is closer to test. It's definitely worth a look in my opinion. If I was in the market at this very moment, it's the one I would go for if up to scratch. HPI, etc.

Both have good MOT's aswell.

Good luck.

Bill.

Run a search on here, there is so much about the C124 floating about.

General consensus is later E320 has loom issues against CHG issues on 300CE-24V. Not sure what specifically goes wrong with the 300 CE but the performance is a step down from the other two.

Lots of things go wrong with them as they are now old and many of these can be expensive.

Condition and recent history would be my priority over age and mileage. There are plenty about, I'd certainly check a few out before taking the plunge. A sorted one is a lovely car.

Happy hunting.

Ade

Run a search on here, there is so much about the C124 floating about.

General consensus is later E320 has loom issues against CHG issues on 300CE-24V.

Ade

I was under the impression that all the engines had CHG issues? Both cars have the M104 engine and I thought the difference between them was the fuel injection system on the later model was fully electronic HFM versus the Bosch-Jetronic semi electronic of the earlier car?

Either way though, if you get one that has had the redesigned CHG fitted you shouldn't expect any bother.

I was under the impression that all the engines had CHG issues?

I think you are probably right, from stuff on here it just seems far more of the 300-24v engines suffer than the later 320.

Knowing what I now know (ah the benefit of hindsight) I'd just allow something in my budget if it hadn't been done either way ie. it wouldn't put me off an otherwise straight car with the right spec.

If I was starting again, I think I'd prioritise condition inside and out over maintenance history - usually a clean car has been well looked after in anycase - as it won't be long before I've have replaced pretty much all the wear items on mine anyway - next on the list are suspension bushes (Jinxed it now... exhaust, gearbox, AC still to pack up..:rolleyes::))

Ade

Last edited:
Get this down to under £2k and I reckon your mate will get a bargain - plus white is the new black in terms of car fashion...

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/772663.htm

Looks like the ABS light is on - good haggle point as its likely to be the OVP relay which is a straightforward fix.

Isn't ADY on here selling his white 300CE-24v

Ade

If your friend can wait get one with heated seats (2 switches just below ashtray on the centre console). These are so nice on cold days if you have the leather interior.

Also make sure it has the later 5 speed box over the 4 speed (though there CAN be issues with the electronic 5th gear so check it well, whilst car is warm and on the flat, and make sure the autobox fluid level is correct).

These cars are 13 years old minimum, they will need ongoing maintenance so make sure your friend is ready for it.

Most of all take a few for a test drive so you enjoy the ride quality, C124's feel special when you drive them.

"What are these like on fuel, Is the 3.2 a better engine than the 3.0 what are problems to look out for etc?"

I get 27+ mpg from my 320. Its engine is smoother than the two M103s I own, and has more torque lower down the range (more grunt). I've had it for eight years and nothing has gone wrong apart from the headlamp wiper motors and the delamination of the rear window.

"What are these like on fuel, Is the 3.2 a better engine than the 3.0 what are problems to look out for etc?"

I get 27+ mpg from my 320. Its engine is smoother than the two M103s I own, and has more torque lower down the range (more grunt). I've had it for eight years and nothing has gone wrong apart from the headlamp wiper motors and the delamination of the rear window.

I used to get c30 mpg from my CE 300-24, but I do live in the country and these days drive quite gently......

In the 6 years I had mine, it was my main car and I had absolutely nothing go wrong with it...... Yes there was some delamination of the rear window and the piping on the front armrest frayed.......

I had it serviced every 6000 miles, and i think £ for £ it has had the cheapest cost of ownership (depreciation apart) of any car I've owned..... and I did 70k miles in it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom