w124 ce lowered on 19s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

christokane

Car
w124 220ce + w140 S500
hey folks

I have a 220 ce coupe on 19in monoblocks,I reduced tire size to front 235/35 back 255/35s, which raises the car a bit and I want to lower it... and even roll the arches if need be.
has anyone lowered their car on this size wheel? my concern is more so the front arches when turning the wheel, some say it can't be done but I'm hoping it can.... ???
thanks in advance

Hello,
First I have to dash all hopes of any help you may find here in this reply. I'm sorry. I only reply 'cos I note you drive the 124 coup. Does it handle well on 19s? I can understand you wanting to lower the car, as this is something I have thought of myself, these coups do sit high. My concern would be rubbing the arches, as my impression was always that with the coup 19s were the largest wheel/ tyre size you could go, and thats on standard suspension.
I wish you luck in your venture.

Ha ha thanks... well I bought the car cheap as a bit of a restoration project , and it's not got much power so handling isn't really a factor. But it's not the best no, I know 18 or 17 inch would fit more snug but I had the wheels off my w140 so popped them on as it's bit rich to run these days.
It is rare to see them with 19s but there is a few on the net , I reckon it's worth a gamble or even cut the springs as a cheaper option just Incase , at least a second hand set of springs would be easy to come by.

If you fit the correct tyre size for the rim diameter how does that "raise the car"? Rolling diameter should be the same or your speedometer will be out.

Because it's a larger wheel...on 35 profile.... either way I want it lowered for the look.

Because it's a larger wheel...on 35 profile.... either way I want it lowered for the look.

Agreed 100%. It may look "taller" but shouldn't be.
I lowered my 203 once on 18" but the wheel diameter was exactly the same as stock.

He's not using the correct tyre sizes though.
235/35/19 front and then 255/35/19 back. The rears will be larger than fronts and even the front are larger than standard.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

My rear wheels are a wider wheel... they are staggered. Deeper dish on the rear.

With 19's to get it looking how it should lowered, you are going to struggle i'm afraid without extensive work done to the arches.

These W140 wheels are ET 46 staggered 8.5 J front and 9.5 J rear. Compare this with 18x8J ET31 or an 18x9J ET 35.

I have 18 x 8J all around and my coupe is really low with no issues suprisingly (just) with 215/40 tyres which gives me an inward wall. 225/40 which it 'should' be would foul my front arches. I have had all four arch lips rolled to accomodate. No rubbing and can have a car full with pasengers. Only slight issue on road camber say turning in to my drive i skim the rolled front arch ever so slightly.

I'm considering the 19's as well.

If i go for the 19's its defo getting arches modded to accomodate exatly the same tyre sizes you mention. This will form part of the body work I intend to do so i't'll be done all together.

My coupe isnt a daily drive and i've accepted the ride with the 18's isn't brilliant considering the roads. Give it a flat surface they are perfect. 19's for me personally will just enhance my look and will worsen the ride. My tolerance is as such though.

If possible, so i can visual the look of 19's futher could you wing me over more pics of your motor please via email if you dont mind? or post them up here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply.. I've no more pictures at the moment.. I'll get a few more tmrw, the ones I have are with the 45 profile which looks terrible.
Yeah I'm also willing to jeopardize the ride quality for the look as I don't do much driving really , about 2 miles to my job.
As I said it's more the lower part of the arch that is bothering me when turning ,I think the upper arch will be fine.

Sent from my Sony Arc S using MBClub UK

These look like 19s.. looks well

IMG-20121111-WA0000.jpg

imo 19" is too much for 124's.

I kinda agree ... but I already have them,so gonna make it work regardless (crosses fingers)

These are my 18's lowered. As you can see its tight up front already. With 19's i almost can be certain that i'll be hitting the front arch plastic cladding in this moment in time. I think this is where castor angles will come into play.

No chance sticking 19's on at this height if your looking to go this low without proper bodyshop work.

I face a problem as i dont want to detract from the actual original design to get a set of 19's on. But I dont have a choice if i want them on and they will look fantastic staggered with a deeper dish @ the rear.

Another factor to consider is the weight of these wheels + tyres - very heavy!

Very nice mate... very tidy, maybe I'll just try source a set of 18s and save the hassle..
What do you mean by castor angles?

its somthing to do with the way the front wheels angle either front of the pivot axis or back of the pivot. I thinks its more to do with steering than anything.

...or somthing like that!

its somthing to do with the way the front wheels angle either front of the pivot axis or back of the pivot. I thinks its more to do with steering than anything.

...or somthing like that!

"...or somthing like that" Tsss Tsss!! young blood!! 1hr detention to you master Billy..lol

Bump Steer!!, I expect a 2 page report on this subject Sir...he he!

chat soon

mazza

hahha,

Ok i'm going to sit in the corner with the dunce hat on! Research i must.

;)

few pics... I reckon there is plenty of room to play with.

Attachments

• DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back