W124 Chrome Grille

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

I am looking for a pre-facelift chrome grille for my 124. Specifically I need the large outer chrome part (the bit that the MB star goes through). I would consider the complete grille if you you would rather not split. The chrome must be A1 on the outside.

My own grille is very good, but it has some slight dulling and pitting from, what I suspect was a previous attempt at polishing using something abrasive.

I have looked at the ebay ones and I believe that they are still available from MB. I thought I would ask here first.

Thank you.

sorry the ones i have are not good enough, sorry i forgot to reply last week

Dave. No apology required. Thank you for looking. I am being really an*l about this. I have seen these for £50 on ebay - described as A1?

On mine the the top - bonnet face - is just lightly pitted and dulled. I have tried Autosol and very fine (I mean really fine) wire wool = No real difference.

Any tips on cleaning to really bright finish?

bruce, i think they are starting to weather a bit, you wont get it out as the chrome is getting very thin, and starting to wear, maybe even slightly porous

retrodave111 said:
bruce, i think they are starting to weather a bit, you wont get it out as the chrome is getting very thin, and starting to wear, maybe even slightly porous

Good call. I wonder if a re-chrome is cost effective?

It is the part of the car that the eye is naturally drawn to. So getting it right is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I'd say all used ones will have pitting or imperfections of some sort. I'd look into new or having it sent off to be chromed. Then you won't waste £50 on what is a 20 year old bit of chrome.

Worth it in my opinion.

hi bruce, i got a fresh 124 in today, and the grill looks perfect, let me know if you have not got sorted, dave

Hi Bruce. A new one from Mercedes is £450. I bought A secondhand one guy said it was good but was not as good as he said but I put it on car for now. Getting my one rechromed at the cost of £220 will see how this turns out all the best

that sounds a lot just for a grill, i know its a few years ago, i had one done for a 111 coupe, and it was £42.00, try contacting prestige chrome, in mexborough, south yorkshire, i have used them for nearly 30 years, they do not do any repairs

retrodave111 said:
that sounds a lot just for a grill, i know its a few years ago, i had one done for a 111 coupe, and it was £42.00, try contacting prestige chrome, in mexborough, south yorkshire, i have used them for nearly 30 years, they do not do any repairs

Dave

Did you get a chance to send me pics of yours? I sent you an email.

FYI. I was quoted £350 for rechroming.

<UIImage: 0x7862880> size {1, 30} orientation 0 scale 2.000000

that is a ridiculous price for rechroming, i will take some pictures of some of them i have, including the newest one, if i get chance i will ring my chromers, for a price, it will be tomorrow night when i reply, cheers dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom