W124: Chrome Star on Steering wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Screwdriver

I read somewhere that the last lot of W124's came with a chromed star on the steering wheel. Is this true? If so, anyone know where I can source such a steering cover?

I read somewhere that the last lot of W124's came with a chromed star on the steering wheel. Is this true? If so, anyone know where I can source such a steering cover?

That's part of the airbag.

In theory most should have chrome stars now because the airbags were subject to a recall and the replacements were the later sort with the chrome star,

That's part of the airbag.

In theory most should have chrome stars now because the airbags were subject to a recall and the replacements were the later sort with the chrome star,

mine doesnt! - on either 124. its a mod i want to do. is there any way you can tell whether the airbag is the type that required to be re-called?

there is a guy who is selling a brand new one on ebay at the moment. but its £70. cheap for what it is but i am sure a cheaper 2nd hand one could be sourced.

mine doesnt! - on either 124. its a mod i want to do. is there any way you can tell whether the airbag is the type that required to be re-called?

there is a guy who is selling a brand new one on ebay at the moment. but its £70. cheap for what it is but i am sure a cheaper 2nd hand one could be sourced.

If the cars both have FMBSH then they should have been in and either had a new bag or not needed one, not all cars did, but loads and loads did get changed.

Remember when airbag shopping that there are 2 shades of black 9B51 and 9051 (as well as dark blue) so make sure you get the right shade as it is noticable.

More on the recall:

"Product Info: Models 202, 210, 129, 140, 124. Produced Between June 1995 And November 1996.

Defect Details: Moisture may cause corrosion in driver's side airbag mechanism resulting in airbag deploying unintentionally."

So looks like your two were not involved.

Which means, Derek, it's a helluva lot of dough just to get a chrome star. :crazy:

DSC02076Large.jpg

Mine was subject to the recall as detailed by Nick. I remember telling you at the GTG that the addition of that star provided a quite disproportionate amount of pleasure to the driving experience! :bannana:

I remember telling you at the GTG that the addition of that star provided a quite disproportionate amount of pleasure to the driving experience! :bannana:

Ha, i remember. Been on the lookout since ;)

got to kick myself a bit as i let an ebay auction go that was a passeneger airbag, drivers airbag WITH CHROME STAR(!) and airbag control unit.... it was a good few months back but i remember it not selling for £15! :( At the time i didnt really take much notice of the star so didnt bid.

My estate is 2004, but i'll have to check the dates on the Saloon as its late 1995 i think (which probably why its rusty aswell!). THe saloon doesnt have full service history though....

Just got back in from cleaning the car - Del320- my wheel arches are now as smooth as yours!! lol Car is back in garage now (its raining) awaiting a full clay-bar and polish tommorow!

you can tell my wife is away this weekend............

Ha, i remember. Been on the lookout since ;)

got to kick myself a bit as i let an ebay auction go that was a passeneger airbag, drivers airbag WITH CHROME STAR(!) and airbag control unit.... it was a good few months back but i remember it not selling for £15! :( At the time i didnt really take much notice of the star so didnt bid.

My estate is 2004, but i'll have to check the dates on the Saloon as its late 1995 i think (which probably why its rusty aswell!). THe saloon doesnt have full service history though.....

The history bit does not matter on a recall.

I know someone who had a crash damaged 320CE with a blown bag who managed to get a new one gratis...

The history bit does not matter on a recall.

I know someone who had a crash damaged 320CE with a blown bag who managed to get a new one gratis...

Hehe, maybe i can get one fitted to the Saloon and then swap it over to my estate :)

do you think if it is suitable for a recall then i should put the original steering wheel back in (as its got a wood/leather one fitted) ??? best to i suppose as otherwise they will probably claim its been fiddled with

EDIT - shame - Saloon was built in May and 1st registered in the August 1995

1996 estates had the chrome star plus RCL and 7 seats. I imagine the saloons & Coupes probably had the star & RCL

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hehe, maybe i can get one fitted to the Saloon and then swap it over to my estate :)

do you think if it is suitable for a recall then i should put the original steering wheel back in (as its got a wood/leather one fitted) ??? best to i suppose as otherwise they will probably claim its been fiddled with

EDIT - shame - Saloon was built in May and 1st registered in the August 1995

They won't care about the wheel, dealers love warrenty work, easy money.

If you do go airbag shopping remember about the 2 shades 9051 and 9B51 though as the wrong shade will look out of place :

http://cart.euromercmercedesparts.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=2522&parent=0

http://cart.euromercmercedesparts.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=1870&parent=0

Lighter and darker.

Here's my '96 E280. I agree with del320, it adds a disproportionate amount to the driving experience :)

merc12.jpg

I dont believe the concept of Recalls exists in India, making it harder to source a chromed star cover here. Any URLs for purchasing?

I couldn't find the Ebay auction you mentioned SilverSaloon

Looks like an anthracite bag - lighter shade, not ideal for 124s, something to check...

Do you mean it wont physically work?

I would prefer a slightly duller shade on mine. My new steering wheel is new leather so not very shiney, whereas the airbag is. It looks OK but would look a bit better with a more matt black i think. The airbag and wheel in the saloon i have match fine as the wheel leather is older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom