W124 Convertible - nice but top money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
White + blue leather - AC,Electric heated seats + 20k = Dreaming !!

To my eyes these always look wrong in convertible form.

Maybe it's because the roof looks like an aftermarket job?

The worst possible colour combination, I have always detested blue leather.

^^^ + 1

White with a blue interior is like climbing into an iceberg.

The white's OK. It would be much nicer with a black, mushroom, red, green, brown or just about any other colour interior.

These are becoming very hard to find in decent condition, the prices are strong for good ones and while there are other colour schemes that may appeal more, if you are after a top example colour would be of lesser importance than condition - unless you're a female that is....

And white is the new silver, apparently.

I love these cars, The best 4-seat convertable for the money in my eyes, so even the colour scheme doesn't put me off this one entirely. The bloody price does, though. To think, the first owner could have had a blue-black one with mushroom leather for the same price.

They say 1 in 10 men are colour-blind. Must be why 1 in 10 Mercs are white or red.

To my eyes these always look wrong in convertible form.

Maybe it's because the roof looks like an aftermarket job?

Agreed. A124s never made any sense to me, when the R129 is based on the same platform and is infinitely better looking. 20k would buy the best SL600 on the market and be specc'd properly as well.

Agreed. A124s never made any sense to me, when the R129 is based on the same platform and is infinitely better looking. 20k would buy the best SL600 on the market and be specc'd properly as well.

Maybe the fact that the A124 is a proper 4 seater ;)

Look at the values of a 350SL to a 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet

Price Guide Report
Price Guide Report

These are becoming very hard to find in decent condition, the prices are strong for good ones and while there are other colour schemes that may appeal more, if you are after a top example colour would be of lesser importance than condition - unless you're a female that is....

no not female,

"other colour schemes that may appeal more"

did I mention condition anywhere .............. :wallbash:

I think you would need to really like these cars to pay that much. Granted only a two seater really but I would have a decent SL for half that all price day long ... But each to their own! I quite fancy a WW2 Jeep and many probably think thats a bad idea!

Read your response to my original post I thought your were a bit to sarcastic in your post,and no need for it to be honest
Its sad you look for opportuinites to slate other posts.Its good sometimes that people have a difference of opinion you should except that, but by highlighting what i said as it was rubbish,I stand by what i said, a blue roof would make that car more marketable than the set up it has,I never mentioned condition at all
and even if i was female what difference would it make!!!!

Back on topic I have been working in Switzerland where the A124 is quite highly prized for a myriad of reasons. Long story short I bumped into a chap selling a genuine E320 Sportline A124 with very rare Getrag 5 speed manual.

Now I know many feel that a manual Merc of this type is an oddity amongst the 'auto only' option mindset, but the manual cars,especially with the Getrag 5 speed as fitted to Maseratis etc is a prized beast amongst those that covet sports saloons/cabriolets/estates etc.

I believe only 59 E320 cabs were sold with this gearbox (awaiting confirmation from MB Suisse unless someone on this excellent forum can confirm this). The car has 290k kms on it (180k miles) with full MB dealer history. It's in a very dark grey metallic with black roof and dark beige leather (not the pale leather). Bodywork is excellent - no rust - and roof works fine. Aircon needs a regas but otherwise it is lovely. It's not 'mint' but in excellent, two owner, well maintained condition. Only downside is that the original Weissman hardtop is AWOL so I need to chase that with the previous owner...fingers crossed.

There were three E320 autos on autoscout24.ch last week at 30.000 chf or more (£18k).

This chap wanted only the equivalent of £4k for his car.....so I stayed calm and said yes...complete with new 'expertise' (the stringent Suisse MOT type test that lasts three years).

Pick it up next week. Can't wait. Will update here :)

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom