w124 convertible soft top lid cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dinoy

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes of course
a friend has e220 convertible roof folds fine inside compartment, the problem once it closes when u want to open u can here it clicking and not openning, if u get the spanner and open the cover manually and then use the button to close the roof it works, it is this step to get the cover to open is the problem.

it is obvious the roof releases from the back cover opens, the front roof folds ok into the pit, and closes, but as soon as u try to open when loaded it does not work electrically but does work manually.

also i noticed when it is folding the black cover clips the clip on the metal cover which i never seen happen on other w124 convertibles.

also is their a way of releasing the clip off the back of the car if it is not closed shut this for another friends car, if somebody has any trouble shooting manual for w124 convertible it would gr8

i cannot believe cannot find an honest indy to identify the problem with the roof so we can get to fix it at all.

what is actually happenning it unlocks, manually fold up then lid opens to fold the roof in. and lock the cover

but the problem when to put back on need to unlock with size 14 spanner once unlocked the electrical process works.

if anybody has the built diagnostic machine and happy to help at least so we know what the problem is.

i am sure somebody out their can be the expert, but difficult for me to follow it and find the problem

what is actually happenning it unlocks, manually fold up then lid opens to fold the roof in. and lock the cover

put a mini cam in there with illumination / light and observe :)

When your friend operates the roof does he give the hood a little push up after releasing the two catches?

When your friend operates the roof does he give the hood a little push up after releasing the two catches?

the system operate with sensors, and for that reason we push the back/tail up and that then open the cover then it folds into place.

once this done it lock and all is fine.

when trying to get up again it tries to unlock but keep on clicking, then we open manually with 14 size spanner. then press close button lid is opened and hood is back up and everything closes.

there is 2 problems the hood unlocking but not folding and the other is once inside compartment it does not open.

whilst we are at it he has another which he had close manually the back latch is not sucked in (2 cms gap), problem drivers side window does not work i need to get him a motor and i presume clear errors prior to been able to do anything, but people saying u cannot unlock back in this condition and the lach need to swan off.

You need to fix the windows first I'd have thought. Nothing will happen till the car knows the windows are down when operating the hood.
Clear the codes and try again.
Any fluid leaks?
You have checked the fluid level in the tank?

DTC list

Blink tester

Heres the links i said id post:thumb:

make a blink code tester and test soft top pin which is located under the passenger footwell. Read page 22 of the fault code dtc link and look at the diagram for how you connect it. the bit to really understand is below.

Connection Diagram -
Impulse Counter Scan Tool
Connect to socket 2 of X11/12 located in right front
passenger footwell.
To avoid need for extension cable (010), connect black
lead of impulse counter scan tool to good ground and
red lead to X4/10 inside vehicle interior.

You need to fix the windows first I'd have thought. Nothing will happen till the car knows the windows are down when operating the hood.
Clear the codes and try again.
Any fluid leaks?
You have checked the fluid level in the tank?

he has 2 and the other one has window problem and yes this needs fixing prior to looking at roof.

but the first one is working with helping hand and spanner

do not know how to clear the codes, where is the fluid tank located to double check

the window motor haas now beenn changed, on the second one hood button light on all the time and nothing happens which means error and do not know how to clear to retest

anybody made code reader and knows his way round the system on the w124

Did you get this sorted?

Here is a picture of the X11/12 under the front right foot carpet. This is what you need to plug the code reader into to read the codes.

Last edited:
......... where is the fluid tank located to double check

The soft-top fluid reservoir is in the boot, drivers's side, behind the interior liner, (by the boot light.)

I had soft-top problems a few years back; the frame broke by the nearside rear of the car. I took the cab to d:class of woking who replaced the broken part.

Could be a sticky latch in need of oil, how often do you oil your latches in any case....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom