W124 coolant leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Williamwoo

Car
W124 E320 estate / Audi A6 BiTdi / Skoda Yeti 4x4 / VW Caravelle
Hi all,

Recently my E320 has developed a water leak. It seems to emanate from somewhere between the water pump and the engine block (but it's impossible to see exactly where), so I assume this means the water pump is shot. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but how difficult a job is it to replace?

I've just had a similar issue, turned out to be the fuel filter housing - quite common apparently.
£500 at Mercedes dealer including 'investigation'
(but had to be done the same day as it it was dumping all it's coolant every mile :()

Well if you are handy with a spanner then it is a job you can do in a afternoon,there is a great video on you tube which is still frames with details of what to do.

I've just had a similar issue, turned out to be the fuel filter housing - quite common apparently.
£500 at Mercedes dealer including 'investigation'
(but had to be done the same day as it it was dumping all it's coolant every mile :()

Thanks, but your engine is very different from mine - 4 cyl diesel v 6 cyl petrol (and presumably much newer!). Out of interest though, how does a fuel filter housing fault cause loss of coolant?

Thanks, but your engine is very different from mine - 4 cyl diesel v 6 cyl petrol (and presumably much newer!). Out of interest though, how does a fuel filter housing fault cause loss of coolant?

My apologies!
I think the fuel filter housing (on my model) must either be cooled by water or more likely, attached/adjacent to a part carrying water (see link)
I hope you get yours sorted :)

Fuel Filter housing - coolant leak

Ed65 If you have a fuel leak how can that have anything to do with coolant leak???
Hi please see my response to 'Williamwoo'
Regrettably, as a new member, my enthusiasm to help exceeded my ability to read the model details correctly! o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom