W124 coolant - which one/where from and how difficult to renew?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W124newbie

Car
W124
Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. Towards late Summer last year I picked up some service bits for our family W124 (1989 230E) with the intention of giving the fluid/filter/plug maintenance a go myself.

Didn't quite get round to it but my Dad mentioned the other day that the coolant light has started to come on for a bit when starting the engine. I grabbed the coolant to top up (which I bought from Euro Car Parts along with the other bits) but realised its the blue stuff, and currently the one in there is orange/yellow.

Did some searching online and found out that the orange/yellow stuff is recommended and that the 2 shouldn't be mixed.

So my first question is where can I get some of the recommended stuff from - what's it called? And how much should I look to get?

And following on from that how difficult is a coolant flush/renewal? It doesn't seem too bad looking at the Haynes manual, although is it necessary to attach a rubber hose to the drain nozzle or can the drain plug just be opened and fluid drained out into a container?

If the hose is necessary... where do I get one from/what's it called :dk:

Bottom of the radiator, on the N/S should be a drain off point. You can attach a length of hose to this and open the tap to drain away the coolant into a container.

There's also a drain plug/bolt on the engine block, should be on the O/S under the exhaust manifold. It's something like a 22mm head from memory, has a crush washer underneath.

I would drain and refill it with water a couple of time to flush it through, then finally refill with coolant of your choice.

The ECP coolant is probably ok, I would ideally use OE/MB coolant but as you've already bought it check it and use that if suitable.

You'll need around 10L in total so if it's a 5L can when mixed 50:50 with water you should be about right - the can will have mixing/dilution data on it.

The orange yellow stuff is probably Glysantin g05, which is oem to mercedes.
But since you're best off flushing the system as in post above you can use Glysantin g48 which is g05 nitrite free replacement. Comma seels this stuff in their packaging.
Comma :: Productsguide
Comma :: Productsguide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom