w124 coupe (95) - throttle body / MAF ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i would buy this if i definitely knew it would sort the problem...:-/

Have you carefully cleaned the throttle body throat and the edge of the butterfly plate with solvent?

Since its such an expensive item it might be worth getting the fault codes read. Although these are limited for models of that vintage they might still indicate the source of your problem and they do cover the operation of the throttle body. You need to get hold of someone familiar with that age of car to interpret the results correctly.

charan if you really need someone to have a butchers at your 124 i know a guy, he does work on my 124 and knows these things inside out.

you'll have to come to NW london though. He'll tell you straight whats what.

let me know..

..it seems you have been having quite a lot of issues with your motor of late, hopefully you get these issues all sorted mate. Nothing on these cars is not fixable, just depends how far you want to take it really.

I started off changing my front two wish bones and track rod arms a month into my ownership.... The ball then began to roll. Its ALL worth it in the end trust me.

Since its such an expensive item it might be worth getting the fault codes read. Although these are limited for models of that vintage they might still indicate the source of your problem and they do cover the operation of the throttle body. You need to get hold of someone familiar with that age of car to interpret the results correctly.

I cant stress the importance of running fault codes especially with items like the above!

no body wants to spend £500 on something, which might not even solve the problem. You have done the right thing by servicing the car, and checking the obvious faults - Now you have to bit the bullet and get it error read.

£50 is good value for money if it saves you buying a £500 part which isn't required! :thumb:

I hope it all goes well! Fingers crossed! - nobody likes a poorley car!

Guys - does anyone know that part (bracket, or whatever it is) that links the throttle cable to the pedal? Mine is shot.... also need a new throttle cable?

Any idea of that actual name of the bracket? or prices for that matter?

Thanks

Guys - does anyone know that part (bracket, or whatever it is) that links the throttle cable to the pedal? Mine is shot.... also need a new throttle cable?

Any idea of that actual name of the bracket? or prices for that matter?

Thanks

I'm Sure Malcom (television) will have this as a exploded diagram, and might even be able to give you a OE MB part number :thumb:

I had a throttle body issue on a 1994 E320 coupe (000 141 57 25). First sign of trouble was the cruise control working sometimes, other times not. Eventually cruise vanished. Next was high idle, around 1,200 rpm. This was a real pain; car would come to a halt and thump back into second. Also meant that at a stop, in drive, it was really putting pressure on the engine, brakes and most certainly the torque converter as you were holding back 1,200 revs. Was diagnosed on the Star machine as a throttle body malfunction.

Cost here in Oz was about $2,000 for a new one. Being stingy I sourced a recon unit from the US for about $700 incl freight ($800 minus $100 core return). This was a time when the $A was on parity with the $US, something not seen for about 30 years, so sourcing parts from the US was an attractive option. Aus dollar fell a bit after that but is back riding high at around US$1.05.

First unit made no difference and was diagnosed with same fault code. Got supplier to send replacement, but this was identical. Supplier sent third unit and this worked. Idle back to normal, cruise back working. This all took about 2 months from first order to car working properly.

If the first recon unit had worked I might recommend that as a way to go, but given the troubles I had I'm doubtful what actually constitutes reconditioning.

throttle body swapped - no joy.
MAF swapped - no joy.
services - same

Diagnostics: MAF / oxygen sensor...but ive swapped the MAF. So now im stumped.

Hi there, I'm reading this thread on my iPhone so forgive me if I miss something.

I wondered if your engine harness has been changed and what condition the connectors at the MAF are in?

Hope you figure it out soon!

Hi there, I'm reading this thread on my iPhone so forgive me if I miss something.

I wondered if your engine harness has been changed and what condition the connectors at the MAF are in?

Hope you figure it out soon!

Hi Boy Racer AU,

Funny you should mention the harness point. Charan came down on the weekend for my mechanic to have a look.

I'm not sure that the 220's suffer from the wireharness issue as the 320's? could be wrong?

Ok so we swapped throttle bodies around that charan sourced that made no apparent improvement.

We then moved on to the MAF where we swapped his one from my car. same issue.

We then put it on Star. As mentioned the faults were pointing to o2 and the MAF.

The diagnostic mechanic said it could be the wiring connection (the four pin plug) that connects to the MAF itself which feeds round the engine block and into the lefthand side to where the ECU is located.

A point to note is that this MAF connection does actually clip onto the block itself and goes round the back of it. i do believe that the wires will be subject to prolonged heat and over time may have resulted in this failure?

First thing he said is a voltmeter is needed to check each of the four pins on the connector plug and follow them to the ECU fou. If this is fine then he mentioned that the ECU could be at fault.

Either a new one!!!?? :doh: or send off for repair. :wallbash: .

Any MB built between 1993 -1996 is likely to have left the factory with a dodgy wiring loom as I understand it.

My E220 coupe only had it's loom replaced at the beginning of this year. I've heard some owners were fortunate enough to have had their looms replaced as a warranty replacement, but this would've been when these cars were still new.

The loom has a sticky white label (complete with part number, if I recall correctly). It's located just near the battery. That will tell you when it was produced. As it happens, my 1996 car was fitted with a loom produced in 1993.

Sadly, I'd say any loom produced during this era is a time bomb waiting to go off.

Thanks for that, interesting to note, i know what im going to check when i get home this eve! :thumb:

hopefully mines says 2012!

One of the first things to do if you get a Merc of that vintage is remove both the MAF and lambda sensor [4 cylinder engine] leads from their cam cover retaining clips and reroute them away from the heat of the engine. Its a simple thing but can avoid problems in the future.

right. Second mechanic has said the same thing.
Diags have suggested MAf is out...but the reading are all out.

So he has suggested, as a matter of course....replacing the wiring loom as the first step. if that doesnt work, he has suggested replacing the ECU? For Fudge sake, this car is a nightmare!

im definitely not buying a new ECU, and wondered if you guys have any view on the options for replacing an ECU? repair? send off? find one....??????

help!!!

perhaps find a cheap e220 600-700 quid doner car for sale and use its ECU?

the ECU will cost grands!

repair less but will mean haviing someone to take it out properly, then sending it off.

call the dealer give them your vin and ask how much the wiring loom is for the car first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom