W124 coupe, aggressive pick up in reverse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
has anyone experienced a very agrressive reverse gear on the 5 speed auto? i have to almost tickle it when reversing to avoid almost instant wheelspin. reversing uphill can also be an issue. i have learnt to live with it but have yet to have it adressed. Has anyone got any previous experience/remedies?

cheers

PAW

It was like that on my E320 coupe with a 4 speed box. The stiffness of the spring in the throttle linkage makes it very difficult to modulate, particularly in reverse for some reason.

I am having this issue on my '94 220TE. Has anybody successfully modified the spring or made any other mods to fix it?

I think all us 124 drivers have this issue and just live with it. I was not aware of any "fix" being available

Wont the ECU be wrong if you swap them?

I think all us 124 drivers have this issue and just live with it. I was not aware of any "fix" being available

Well, my previous '92 300TD never had this problem. You had to push the the accellerator half way in for anything to happen.

Well, my previous '92 300TD never had this problem. You had to push the the accellerator half way in for anything to happen.

thats because with a W124 diesel you can go and make a pot noodle in the time it takes for the car to move off.

thats because with a W124 diesel you can go and make a pot noodle in the time it takes for the car to move off.
Lol Come on Jay,we can`t all have V8s

im only messing.. but it is why his isnt so harsh.. the engine just doesnt respond much to half throttle!

There are little ball joints in the linkages which need to be kept oiled - it is a service requirement.

Oiled linkages will keep the whole thing smoother, but it will not make the system light weight as on most modern cars.

The Merc 124 sytem is inherently heavy - but smooth.

It maybe some of them have seized - you can buy new linkage parts.

There are little ball joints in the linkages which need to be kept oiled - it is a service requirement.

Oiled linkages will keep the whole thing smoother, but it will not make the system light weight as on most modern cars.

The Merc 124 sytem is inherently heavy - but smooth.

It maybe some of them have seized - you can buy new linkage parts.

The linkage also needs careful adjustment once clean.

Is this a cable throttle car or drive-by-wire? (is the throttle cable knackered :) )

It is cable. I have lubricated all the parts to no avail. If the spring is so tight then is a new one included in a throttle cable kit?

Worth properly checking the cable and also the pedal linkages in the car. The cable can go stiff and move in "jumps".

The overall action should be heavy but very smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom