W124 coupe buying advice sought, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
I have owned an S202 for six months and have come to the conclusion that a 124CE of some description has to be mine.
I would like a leather interior but aircon would take priority over that.
I do not want AMG, Carat whatever, wide wheels, Sportline or generally chavved up dross, I like it as Mercedes built it.
Some say that the 300 single cam engine is the one to have and others prefer the 320. Given that I want to own the car for a long time, which model, in the opinion of those who have owned them will be the most reliable (and repairable) in, say ten years time.
I know that you buy the best you can afford but the price variation is, I'm guessing due to an increasing perception that the car is a "Classic" with a lot of chancers punting on tired old tat for top money. What ought I to look for and what do you think should be a sensible sum to spend for a decent, honest car that isn't too precious to use?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Do a search on here. Loads of sound buying advice. I had one (320) and loved it.

Basically buy on condition and not mileage, check the condition of the loom. Windscreens are a weak point as are back windows, which are ruinously expensive to replace. The seatbelt presenters may be broken but cheap to replace the ends if the mechanism works OK. The Windows may have broken regulators which are expensive to replace. Check everywhere for rot, especially sunroof and around the rear screen.

Don't discount the 230CE - the M102 engine won't deliver the performance of the other available options but is robust, reliable and relatively simple to service and maintain.

Similarly the 220CE (150BHP four-pot) can be very appealing if you aren't looking for performance

I find mine very enjoyable and satisfying to drive, it's remarkably refined for a 4-cylinder car, and seems to glide effortlessly, with that W124 solid / quality feel still there on the 22-yo vehicle.

It's totally transformed my previously heavy-footed driving habits - some cars reward sedate driving, and actually make it fun to behave sensibly! Added bonus is you also get good gas mileage and reliability.

Ball-joints expensive to replace because you have to change the entire lower control arm assemblies

Cheers, Chris
93 220CE, auto, red / black leather, 108k, Manchester

You can repair the mechanical parts ,but the body work and under the car is the main point to look for ,rust is the killer of most old cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom