w124 coupe enhanced stopping power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
I have a w124 coupe facelift model, I am looking at ways to improve the brakes, I have heard that you can fit e500/R129 500sl brakes which have greater stopping power. Has anyone had any experience updating brakes on a w124 coupe?

I am curious that you find the need for bigger brakes as mine are more than adequate and can certainly outperform my tyres with little effort on my CE.

Could it be that you have a mechanical problem that if rectified might resolve your issue for far less cost?

i like my brakes

best ive ever had

they do fade a bai so next time ill get better grooved & vented ones and ive heard the red stuff/green stuff pads are very good too

I am curious that you find the need for bigger brakes as mine are more than adequate and can certainly outperform my tyres with little effort on my CE.

Could it be that you have a mechanical problem that if rectified might resolve your issue for far less cost?

If you have 4 passengers and a boot load of stuff, coming down a steep hill will fade most MB brakes, normally not to the point of compromising safety however.

Or when it comes to towing it's not unusual to see brake fade unless driven very gingerly. (admittedly a C124 isn't the ideal towing vehicle!)

500SL brakes will fit.

You haven't listed whether your car is a 320 or 220, if a 220, the brakes on a 320 are much bigger and easy to come across as opposed to the 500sl brakes which are difficult to source but extremely powerful!

His Sig says it's a 320.

For fading brakes fit air ducting hoses from the front air intakes through to the backplate, it will reduce disk temperature significantly.

Define "greater stopping power"

If your existing brakes can get the front wheels to the point of locking (and, unless you have a fault, they can) then bigger brakes & different pads will not make it stop faster

If the brakes are fading then harder pads and discs with better heat dissipation will help to a point. Personally I suspect you'll struggle to get the brakes to fade under normal road use

I'd change the brake fluid, clean the calipers of dust, make sure the pistons are all moving freely, check the discs for thickness & runout, replace the pads & test again. If you still don't like the results, and you want more bite, I'd try a harder pad. Bear in mind that many harder pads give less bite till they're up to temperature

The best non-standard pads I've come across are Hawk Ferro-Carbon pads, though they were not used on a Mercedes

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Agree with other posters that your Merc brakes if working properly will NOT be an issue.

Yours are clearly NOT working properly.

You have 4 pot fixed calipers on the front and two pot fixed calipers on the rear which were upgraded from original spec of earlier coupes.

The problem that does occcur is that the rear calipers seize (from under use in light braking).

Do some spirited drivng one evening on some quiet fast bendy roads, and use your brakes hard and often.

Then go and stand near rear wheels and you will probably smell the burning pad/s which has stuck on against the disc.

Whilst the rear brakes only account for a smaller portion of the total braking effort of the car, that small portion makes the difference between good and bad braking, and as soon as you have fully effective brakes again you will be most impressed.

You can buy a repair kit from Merc with new seals etc to renew the internals OR you can buy replacement rebuilt complete calipers from Merc.

Do not go for aftermarket calipers which often have a dubious quality.

Merc will give you the full 2 years guarantee as per new parts.

Thanks

I dont have a problem with them at the moment, I am used to driving a current audi A6 as well as my coupe, i do notice the difference between the ability of the two cars to stop. I do appreciate the difference in age and technology on the two vehicles however if there is a way to improve the brakes on my coupe i would like to do so. Maybe i am expecting a lttle too much from my 14 year old car.

The problem that does occcur is that the rear calipers seize (from under use in light braking)

I bought a 280 estate recently that had been "serviced" 1000 miles before. Alan Robertson found it had a seized rear caliper

So I agree 100% with my learned colleague!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Thanks for the information, my brakes have not let me down yet, i have had some instances when stopping hard at motorway speeds with a full load has caused some fade. if I can improve the brakes without messing around too much with the car I would like to.

I will give them a quick test over the weekend and see how stinky they are. the pads and discs were replaced approx 12 months ago so i am hoping all is ok. in fareness its only at motorway speeds that i would like to improve the stopping power. Thsnk you for the information in your reply. I have had lots of helpful answers so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom