W124 coupe ignition barrel/steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vmaxjude

Car
1995 R129 SL320
The steering lock on my 1988 W124 230CE is locked on and I cannot turn the ignition key to position 1 (and obviously any other position). The failure happened today when my wife was using the car so I don't have a reliable chain of events (sorry dearest). It had been getting a bit difficult to turn, but much more difficult with the new ignition key I bought recently rather than the original one the car came with when I bought it.

Is there any chance I can use WD40 to free it, or do these symptoms mean it is kaput and I am looking at a mega-money barrel replacement? If so does anyone have a ballpark figure? Cheers all.

Loads of threads about this happening to W124s & W201s. Have a search & you'll see what you're up against.

The steering lock on my 1988 W124 230CE is locked on and I cannot turn the ignition key to position 1 (and obviously any other position). The failure happened today when my wife was using the car so I don't have a reliable chain of events (sorry dearest). It had been getting a bit difficult to turn, but much more difficult with the new ignition key I bought recently rather than the original one the car came with when I bought it.

Is there any chance I can use WD40 to free it, or do these symptoms mean it is kaput and I am looking at a mega-money barrel replacement? If so does anyone have a ballpark figure? Cheers all.

You is in heap plenty trouble if you can’t get the key to turn to position 1, if you are lucky and you can get it to position 1 then leave it there as you may not get a second chance.

Try without WD40 first, if you cant get to position 1 then try some WD40. It is not wear on the key blade that is causing the problem, it is wear inside the ignition barrel.

You are going to need a new lock cylinder /barrel, ordered from your dealer ( via your VIN number and proof of identity ) so as to match your existing key;

Or

I think you can get a new lock cylinder /barrel complete with a new key without any delay… off the peg so to speak so no proof of identity required.

Read both threads below on how to do the job yourself.
92 300E W124 ignition cylinder removal - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
W124 Lock Cylinder Replacement: How-to - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Dec

Last edited:
Just a question, is the steering tight against the lock? If it is it will stop the key turning, if you know what i mean??

Turn the steering with force away from the lock (i dont know which way, depends how you parked it up) and when you feel the steering move to one direction - use the key to unlock it - and then change the barrel to a new one from mercedes that is coded to your original key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom