W124 coupe key question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby220

Car
This may take a while.......
Hi,

Looking at a E220 coupe and the current owner told me he has one key to open/close doors and another key to start the engine with.

He told me this is normal on the W124 cars and I just wanted to confirm this with anyone on here. Could it be its had a ignition barrel replacement at some stage.

Looking to buy my first W124 coupe and if someone could shed some light I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Quite believable, both my W124s have had ignition locks break on me, and both ended up with different keys, it's much quicker and cheaper than getting a matched ignition lock.
cheers

the ignition key normally get stuck or key get lost etc, the lazy way is to get barrel from MB and thus then 2 keys one for everything the other just for ignition, the normal way 2 weeks from germany for one key operation, to have barrel made in germany from the key database their with same key

So from the factory they all came with one key that opened the doors and started the car ?

The car in looking at is a 1994 model e220 coupe and doesn't come with remote central locking. I thought all of them had remote central locking as standard ?

So from the factory they all came with one key that opened the doors and started the car ?

The car in looking at is a 1994 model e220 coupe and doesn't come with remote central locking. I thought all of them had remote central locking as standard ?

Yes. All came with one key for everything. Also apart from the very early ones they all had remote locking - at least in the UK. Do the drivers door handle an boot have the little lights/sensors for the central locking?

Lot of permutations around 1994.

Mercedes Star set in the metal of the bonnet - you have an early facelift which as GP801 says should have little lights and sensors in door handles and next to the boot lock. Mercedes Star set in the chrome radiator housing - pre facelift and manual locking with loads of keys, for reasons stated above.

If you have a pre facelift you can always have central locking fitted. Being a lazy **** I had this done on one of mine.

Yes. All came with one key for everything. Also apart from the very early ones they all had remote locking - at least in the UK. Do the drivers door handle an boot have the little lights/sensors for the central locking?

Not sure as I've haven't bought the car yet, going to have a look at one tomorrow.

The car is a 1994 (M) and the owner says it doesn't have remote central locking. The central locking works by the key and another key for the engine.

Lot of permutations around 1994.

Mercedes Star set in the metal of the bonnet - you have an early facelift which as GP801 says should have little lights and sensors in door handles and next to the boot lock. Mercedes Star set in the chrome radiator housing - pre facelift and manual locking with loads of keys, for reasons stated above.

If you have a pre facelift you can always have central locking fitted. Being a lazy **** I had this done on one of mine.

This one is an early facelift then as the star badge is in the bonnet separate from the grill.

It has central locking but not via a remote only by the key.

You might like to get this confirmed, but as far as I am aware, in 1994 almost all Mercedes cars had Mercedes approved "after-market" remote locking fitted. My W124TE has this as well as the convenience package which shut all with windows and the sliding roof if any of them were open.

Not sure as I've haven't bought the car yet, going to have a look at one tomorrow.

The car is a 1994 (M) and the owner says it doesn't have remote central locking. The central locking works by the key and another key for the engine.

According to the manual IR remote central was first introduced after 03/94 so the car could well have been built before that and still registered on an M plate.
Central locking was of course standard, just that the the ignition barrel has been changed (possibly more than once...)

Someone mentioned the 'convenience' feature, this was fitted from 1990 models onwards (W124)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom