W124 Coupe - New wishbone arm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shanksy

Car
W124 e220 coupe + W208 CLK430
Hi all,
MOT failed today unfortunately due to ball joint on suspension.

Garage have quoted me £270 to fit a completely new suspension arm which I believe is around £170 for the part, £100 for the labour.

The guy at the garage (who I have always found trustworthy in the past) explained that the ball joint is not something that can be replaced on its own hence the complete new suspension arm.

Not knowing if this is the case or not, I thought it might be wise to run it past those on here with the knowledge, money is tight at the moment and I can't afford to be spending more than I need to be.

Grateful for any advice.......

that need the whole wishbone replacing are the 24v models. (300-24, 280 and 320).

I think this is incorrect. AFAIK all 320 models have fixed balljoints and the rest are replaceable

4-Matics may be fixed as well - I don't know

Balljoints are about £30 from a dealer

Nick Froome

According to this -

W124 Front Lower Ball Joints | Mercedes-Benz Club of America

"-- the later W124 models with M104 (inline-6) and M119 (V-8) engines have an integrated control arm whereby the ball joint is indeed not individually replaceable. This requires replacement of the entire front lower control arm for each side. Interestingly, diesel models utilized the older design with replaceable ball joints until the end of production for the 1995 model year.
The new lower control arm design was tied to the brake size used on a particular model of W124. So, when the W124 was face-lifted/uprated to 294mm, 295mm and 320mm front brakes, the newer "integrated-with-ball joint" lower control arm design was utilized."

And, according to my experience, they are incorrect

The only cars I have come across with fixed balljoints are 320 models. None of the diesels, 280s or 220s I have replaced balljoints on have had fixed balljoints, sports chassis cars included

It would not surprise me at all if the 300-24 had fixed balljoints, but I've never had work done on one

It's easy to state opinions as fact and to make incorrect generalisations about W124s. My observations are based on what I have seen, not on what I have heard or read

Nick Froome

Last edited:
This has been covered many times.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres-brakes-suspension/160568-w124-front-wishbone-issue.html

The pic in post number 8 of the above thread shows the visual difference between the two types of wishbone. The op should be able to determine which type his car has from this.

@Balge, is it possible that US models had a different spec? certainly US market W140 cars have many strange differences to Euro spec cars, and it wouldn't suprise me if the same were true for the w124.

Many thanks for all the comments guys, thats been incredibly helpful.

I'm sure they guy has made an honest mistake but i'll have to discuss it with him on Monday.

Thanks again :)

Many thanks for all the comments guys, thats been incredibly helpful.

I'm sure they guy has made an honest mistake but i'll have to discuss it with him on Monday.

Thanks again :)

My understanding is that all the 6 cyl. 24 valve versions have fixed ball joints on the lower control arms: 300-24, 280 and 320. And the control arms are around €500 each - costly! As is always the case, I read that those who have fitted non-MB, cheap replacements have lived to regret it.

All my ball joints are original and have just passed a quarter of a million miles. I have one split seal and am tempted to replace all (€1250!!!) but my garage man says to only fix what's broken so that's likely to be €100-ish.

Can't complain, I suppose, after that mileage.

Happily, your car sounds like one on which the joints are replaceable and I would strongly recommend you stick with MB original parts.

Bonne chance.

RayH

I spoke to the garage this morning and the suggestion to replace the complete suspension arm came from the Merc dealer in Dorset.
A call to my Merc local dealer, Sytners in Newbury got me a quote for £18 + vat for a single ball joint.
I've hardly been on here recently what with a new family and all, but you still can't beat this place for knowledge, its saved me more money / hassle than I care to remember.

The longer I can fight off the sensible people carrier and keep the old girl running the better :)

No need for People carrier, you could have your cake and eat it of course-S124 7 seater. :bannana:

That would be the more logical progression............

Picked my car up today to be told that although 220's should have the replaceable ball joints, someone has previously fitted the one piece arm, so still had to pay £270.

I was also told that Mercedes no longer sell the original arm that has replaceable ball joints, hence the fitting against original quote.

I'm starting to get a bit miffed now, either I'm being cynical or unlucky..... not sure which.

When I get the other small piece of work done Saturday ull be asking to keep the old suspension arm to verify before settling the bill I think.

Frown is out tonight.

Mercedes do not supply the arm with replaceable ball joints that's for sure. The part number supersedes to the later style arm.
It may follow that they don't supply the ball joint on its own either.
However id bet a drink that it's available aftermarket....

Thanks for confirming the old part was superceded, it seems as if he is honest after all.
The ball joints are definitely still available as MB parts; £18 +vat dealer quote, just not much use to me with the wrong arms on.

Makes me wonder why someone would have fitted the wrong arms previously, possibly a cheap option from a donor 320 maybe who knows :)

Interesting, so in fact any W124 could turn up with non-removable wishbones whatever brakes it has ...

Which p/n is still available, my 300TD should be A1243303007 I believe,
-3407 and -3607 used to be listed as available?

(Inchcape still lists A1243303007 apparently?):dk:

Would I be right then in saying that you can have a 220 with the lower control arm and wishbones of a 320 but not possible the other way round?

w124 parts from the dealer have become stupidly expensive in the last 3 years.

Lemforder still sell the wishbones with the replaceable ball joints, and they can be had for Round £100 online at several places.

Annoyingly, only Febi make an aftermarket wishbone with the welded in ball joints, leaving the only other options £337 each from the stealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom